• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

12.5” or 10.5”!?!

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Just finished the 4” lift on my 94 ranger. I’ve got 31” KO2s on it now. I’m looking to put some 33”s on it, I have my eye on a set of KM3s. With the wheel locked I have a pretty minimal amount of space before rubbing will occur.
I should probably pick up a set of 15” x 8” wheels with less backspacing and offset than my oem deer hooves.
So, the debate I am having is! Does one go with some 33” x 12.5” or 33” x 10.5” KM3s. The ranger probably looks better with a thinner tire. However I’m not bigly concerned with the “looks” as much as I am with not getting stuck in some craphole in the California desert. I am merely concerned with rubbing.
An aftermarket wheel with 3.75” backspace and -19mm offset at 8” wide compared to my factory wheel basically puts me in the same spot I currently am, a 12inch wide tire seems like it will rub.
Maybe I’m being overly cautious, I hope some folks out in ranger land have some thoughts on this!

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
With 8” wide rims, I would recommend the narrower tires.

While tire size is important, proper tread pattern for the terrain may be even more important.

Best tools for avoiding getting stuck in a crap hole are driver skill and discretion.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
JMF661:

The way I understand it the more narrow tire will be able to get to the bottom of the mud or snow better, offering better traction; less resistance to "sinking in". While the wider tire offers better traction on solid dry surfaces it will float easier on wet.

I live in a very wet environment and settled for a compromise, 32x11.5R15. My second choice is 33x9.5R15, which I consider the best wet, mud or snow traction and the least appealing look.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I like the looks of a 33x10.50x15 on a 7 inch wide wheel. I plan to pick up a set for my Alcoas some day. "pizza cutters"

American Racing AR172 - 15x7 3.76 back space. Dick Cepek Extreme Country 33x10.50x15. I nearly bought this set up for my truck... but I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on the set of 5 I ended up with. This package ends up coming in at 66lbs per wheel/tire... hard to beat for weight. Seems nobody cares about the weight... for me it was the first thing I looked at. You make a couple poor choices and you get to 90+ lbs per wheel/tire in a big hurry.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Seems I recall having a set of 33 -8.50-15 BFG mud terrains on my 88 F150 years ago. My favorite tires for that truck. I don’t know if they still make that size. Or maybe they were 9.50 wide. It’s been a while.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I run 10.5x33-15 KM2 tires on stock Alcoa wheels with only a 1.5" torsion bar lift. I do some pretty rough off-road trips too. I get no rubbing but did have to bend the mud flap brackets a little to get good clearance at near full turn. I had 11.5x32-15 tires before those and would get an occasional light rub.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
With 8” wide rims, I would recommend the narrower tires.

While tire size is important, proper tread pattern for the terrain may be even more important.

Best tools for avoiding getting stuck in a crap hole are driver skill and discretion.
I agree, it’s important to try and stay out of something you are unlikely to make it out of. Experience matters.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals