• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

100 Laps on Charlotte Motor Speedway

justonlyjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Folks! I'm new to the forum. I own a 93 Ranger 2WD, 3.0, 5-speed manual and we have had some great times together; the best being that I got to drive 100 Laps on CMS to help dry the track. Yeah, I pegged it at 85 mph once or twice. Anyway, I love my truck and want to give it to my son who turned 16 today. I'm a DIYer and grew up in a machine shop. I've done a lot of engine work but never a transmission. I'm told the Mazda M50D-R1 is supposed to be the transmission in my truck and it isn't a tough rebuild. So, your opinions please: should I attempt to rebuild my own transmission? I believe in fixing what is broken and not just being a parts replacer!

Thanks for reading this and for any advice you can offer.

joj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I havent done one personally but if you do your homework and take your time i imagine they are pretty straight forward. I would do one myself given the opportunity. Hopefully not anytime soon lol.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just got done rebuilding an M5OD a couple weeks ago, they are easy. Special tools you will need include a caliper for measuring for bearing shims, a 32mm socket, and a torque wrench...other than that it is all basic hand tools. I guess a shop press is nice for pressing bearings and races on but it can be done with a few lengths of pipe/tubing.

Contrary to popular belief you do not need a bearing puller, you can use a chisel to remove the bearings and races. The output shaft rear bearing was the only one that fought me. An air chisel makes quick work of it. And yes this is an accepted practice.

The only advice I have is to keep track of the direction that the 1-2 and 3-4 slider rings go on...they fit either way but won't work well backwards. They have a "reference dot" indicating direction...well... both sliders in mine had TWO dots, a big one and a small one, makes you wonder which way is correct. Might want to draw an arrow on them with a sharpie or something.

Also make sure that you clean everything really well, my transmission was packed full of fine metal shavings and sludge, especially in areas where oil should be flowing through... a trip through the parts washer and quick scrub with a toothbrush cleaned it all up nice.

It's easy, just do it.

One more thing, make sure you get a quality bearing kit. I got a kit through Allstate Gear on eBay and one of the countershaft bearings was so far out of spec that it could not be used. Their customer service is pretty terrible too. I did get my money back and then some but it was just a bad experience overall.

justonlyjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Many thanks!

I appreciate your encouragement and am going to take a shot at it. It should be a fun project with my son helping me. Lord knows when he gets wheels I'll probably hardly see him anymore since he'll be out cruising all the time. Thanks again for the advice.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what's wrong with yours?
they are known to easily exceed 300,000 miles with only fluid changes.

Perry

justonlyjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I let her sit too long without driving her. About four years. Thing is, after installing a new battery she started right up. Put new fuel in it and sea foam cleaner and she ran fine. Then whatever it was that happened, happened.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals