• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

10” backing plate 2002 ford ranger help!

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
now that it is mentioned, the only difference between a left and right is the hole for the Ebrake cable.
both parts are stamped identically, the each have both L & R bosses, only difference is 1 is drilled left, other is drilled right.
correct???

also for 2007 both plates are still listed. are 2002 & 2007 compatible?
For the 9" drums the part numbers are the same but I'm not sure about the 10", I would imagine, guessing here, that they would also be the same.

Where did you get your listing for the backing plates @pjtoledo so I can check it out?

I already spent this much time I'm invested now...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Tasca

EDIT: there may be an "oops" here. I need to view the complete page again.

EDIT again: next to the part # both are Lh left,,,,down lower above the years they are listed as right (2211) and left (2212)

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
@MelissaH Could you please help us by going into the settings here on TRS and adding in the motor size, 2wd/4wd and letting us know standard cab or super cab ect. This will allow us to help narrow down the search when sites ask us for info we don't have at this point. It will be displayed in your vehicle info under your name and forum pic.

Thanks for your help with this as we try to help you track down a set of these seeming unicorns at this point.

EDIT: Also does it have the off road package? (FX4) This would make a difference in the axle itself.

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
The part number I just looked up, 2L5Z-2212-EA is listed for the Rangers with the Off road package. I believe, I could be wrong here, that the axle is different causing the difference in the part numbers. https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__/Drum-Brake-Backing-Plate/54556840/2L5Z2212EA.html

Part Number: 2L5Z2212EA
Supersession(s): 2L5Z-2212-EA
10 x 2 1/2" Brakes. 10" Brakes.
Fits Ranger

1998-2009, 10" brake. Ranger; Rear Drum Brakes; Left; 10" Brakes; w/Off Road Pkg.

Yes I know I looked up the driver side but the part number for the passenger says the same.

EDIT:
Part Number: 2L5Z2211EA
Supersession(s): 2L5Z-2211-EA
10 x 2 1/2" Brakes. 10" Brakes.
Fits Ranger

1998-2009, 10" brake. Ranger; Rear Drum Brakes; Right; 10" Brakes; w/Off Road Pkg.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
oops I didn't take that into consideration.
-A is 10"
-B is 9"
-EA is 10" with off road pkg.

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
The off road package is the FX4 package giving the 31 spine axles but I don't know the difference in the axle tubes themselves.

MelissaH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
I've found the driver's side, part number F57Z-2212-A Link. Thus far, I've been unable to find a replacement passengers side, but the part number for that is F57Z-2211-A

Its difficult to say off of pictures alone but it would appear as though the difference between a left and right is where the holes are drilled, if this assessment holds true, you could potentially purchase two driver's side plates and drill the appropriate holes (painting the newly exposed metal). In addition, if you still have the rusty ones, you could compare them now before making any financial commitments

View attachment 40759
Thank you for that I was wondering about doing that in the first place but don’t have all the equipment needed for that I have minimal tools just starting out my tool collection. We were finally able to find an old ranger with the same backing plate. But when taking off the plate the back break line rusted off so now I get to find out what sizes and parts I need to replace that.

MelissaH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
This is not a Viable option due to the parking brake cable hole through the backing plate.

EDIT: The link you provided is to the driver side (left) not the passenger side. (Right)

@MelissaH While normally more expensive, Have you tried a Ford dealership to acquire them or just the right side that is the the hardest to find?

Purchasing a different axle to install over a backing plate being bad seem like a nuclear option. Personally, while not the best option, I would start searching junk yards for it first. The reason I am saying this is while an axle is easy to swap out, U- bolt replacement and removal, installation of the drive shaft, Brake lines and parking brake cable, the bearing and gear condition in them is unknown adding a possibility of needing more work to be done later. Also purchasing a whole axle for just backing plates puts it also in the mini-nuke category unless the cost of new backing plates are much higher than the cost of the axle. Example: if you snag an axle for say $50-$75 then it is worth it for grabbing the whole axle for parts only as long as the gear ratio is the same as what you have now.

Edit: Ford part # for Right/passenger side 10" backing plate is: F57Z-2211-A. Labeled as discontinued by ford dealerships but I hope having the proper part number helps you find it easier. Having this number will help even O'Rielly's get you the proper size backing plate even if you must get it from the manufacturer Dorman.
I for sure need the 10” rear backing plate but I was finally able to get my hands on one and it’s in much better shape than the one I had. I called ford the part is obsolete. And when taking it apart the break line rusted off at the rubber break line attachments. So there’s this fun of replacing this now as soon as I look up the correct parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals