• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1 Ton Ranger Build

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Before I start this build has been going on for about a year now, its over halfway done, but I got deployed in June so I have not been able to work on it since then... I have a build thread at centralstreetscene.org going but I figured id get more feedback and maybe help somebody out with ideas more here.... I'm also bored on my day off so here it is....

Ive been on this site a few years now just for research and whatnots, always had full size stuff so never really posted until I got this ranger in the summer of '09.

Truck history....first wheeler I built was a 88 bronco full size w/ a 302, started by cutting fenders, building bumpers, then got some 34" ltb's then after the TTB front started giving me shit I threw in a hp44 with some stock 79 f150 radius arms, springs, just the basics. Wheeled the shit out of that for a while until the body started to pretty much rust in half, and I destroyed the electronics with water.

Then I acquired a 80 dodge short bed for free....drove it home, kinda scary drive, but oh well....Threw my 34's on it, cut the fenders, wheeled it, blew it up then decided to build it a little more, newer roller 318, removed bed, moved rear axle forward, bumpers off bronco, welded rear, and a little more. Wheeled it for a while then decided I did not like crawling with a carb.

And my old mans truck that ive been tearing up since I was 16...

This truck is pretty much the whole reason i got into wheeling. When I was 16 my dad let me drive it when I wanted...it was alot nicer back then tho....Still love this truck....

After I wheeled the dodge and pretty much destroyed that I decided to try starting with a smaller truck and just build from the start....Because as we all know most of the time when we upgrade something in a year or so we want more, or bigger or something different....and I knew starting with a 4.0, and small axles just would not fit my wheeling style at all.....

I bought the ranger from a guy for $500 bucks. Knowing that I was going to cut chop whatever it was a hard search...I didn't want a rusted ass pos body, and I didn't want to spend a arm and a leg because of this.....
So the day I brought it home.....

After I brought it home I knew I was not going to keep more of it so I put what I didn't want up on craigslist, local sights and whatnot. Sold engine, tranny, tcase, rims, tires, driveshafts, and a bunch more little stuff and almost made my $500 bucks back. So that made me really happy...

Last edited:

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Plans:
`Have a capable rig for rocks, mud, trails, but keep it street legal for cruising sometiems
`Dana 60 with 3 link with panhard front with 6" bronco superflex coils
`Sterling 10.25 Rear w 63" chevy leafs with extended shackles
`Move front axle forward 3-4 inches
`Move rear axle forward for shorter wheelbase and to center the vehicle mass (115" wheelbase, stock is 125)
`Cut bed to fit new wheelbase
`Engine will be .60 over 351w(362w) FI out of 92 f250 future plan on building up for more umpth
`Freshish c6/np205 (twinsticked tcase(so I can have front and rear wheel drive)
`Eventually 5.38 gears
`Snorkle
`Full cage
`Custom bumpers of course
`Custom steering with probibly FJ60 gear box and hydro assist.
`Alot more
~Plan on fitting my 39.5's with around 5 inches of lift and keep it street legal

I started by looking for most of the parts I would need since I made a little extra money from the ranger and other misc parts I picked up over the years mustang, bronco, dodge, mostly 1/2 ton b.s.

Parts:
C6 auto for $120
NP205 for $40
Rebuild kit for 205 $30
Dana 60/sterling combo $500
Chevy 63" leafs $50ish
8 lug rims $200
Seats $80
351w Oil Pan 7qt $200
Misc joints $200
Misc tubing, steel, fasteners prolly $600

Already had:
Baldish 39.5's for $75 bucks
Superflex front coils for 79 bronco $180
Shocks $120
Misc joints $100 (already had some of these)

I planned on using the 302 h.o out of my mustang with all the wiring and such...but a friend let me in on a 92 f250. I was getting pretty much anything I wanted off it if I got rid of it, he just wanted the scrap money....Scored a 351w and all the wiring. $Free

I think thats most of the parts I have for now will update when I think of more...

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Ok now onto the build.

Like I said I started tearing this thing down as I sold parts off it.

First thing was to rebuild 205 case. I got all new gaskets, and prolly should have gotten new bearings but this looked usable and this is still a budget build.
Toor it down, cleaned it, ground down the shift shafts so I could make it a twinstick...

It was a fun time tearing into it...

shift shaft

All back together.

Last edited:

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Then onto the 60 front, stripped, cleaned, painted....

Next to d44 shafts

Got it all cleaned up, shaved a little, painted cover still dont know why I painted it because I plan on making a thicker version or plating this one...oh well looks cool....

After that the rear axle, which got alot of the same treatment, shaved alot more off the rear, cut off all the old brackets, striped down and cleaned, painted....It will eventually get disc brakes also.
I had to throw the rear under if in a hurry because I sold the ranger rear and had to be able to move it around....

With the rear under it, stock wheelbase, springs and ranger junk....Oh yea and some dirt track front tires/wheels for now...haha

Heres one with just the 39.5s on the back before I took the bed off for the newer springs...

Then it was time to mount the rear for good and figure out my wheelbase, my front spring hangers were interfering with the rear body mount so I had to steal the hangers from my old dodge because they were shorter and stronger.
Made the rear spring hangers.

Last edited:

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
And then it started getting cold, so no more working outside....
Removed the cab, then pulled it inside...

After it was in I started removing the front ttb b.s.

After that was all done I chopped the front part of the frame just before the engine cross member, If I was going to do it again I would have just made my own engine cross member also, but oh well its done now....
Cut the front frame to make it easier to mount my steering box, radiator, front bumper and what nots....plus 2x4 tubing is stronger than stock stuff...

After it was welded/braced I finished wire wheeling the whole frame, removing extra crap that I didn't need I primed and painted the frame with some black Valspar tractor paint. Sprayed that on and wow it looks good...

A

Last edited:

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Next:

(Stolen from original thread) Feb 2010
A little progress..... actually feel like im getting somewhere now...got a few days this weekend to work on it away from studying and got some stuff done...

Rear axle...ubolt and tops made and mounted
Fixed rust holes in body mounts on frame side
Engine mounted....
Tranny and tcase bolted to engine for mockup....
.....and the cab back on WAHHOOO

Now for the good stuff.....

After the cab was back on I started to getting shit done a lot faster.

The AC box will be removed before I finish the engine bay...No room or need for it...

Made engine mount plates

Not much room for tranny tcase with stock body mounts

Even have room for stock oil filter...Most v8 ranger swaps require a oil filter relocation.

Misc stuff done....

Modified stock seat brackets to fit new seats

Last edited:

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Ok now onto the good stuff.....The front end install...

This took longer than I thought, ran into some problems and ended up moving the axle farther forward than I planned because of the new oil pan coming close to the steering. And the front springs were too tall so I cut a link or two off....Still might cut one more once i see how much they settle.

The lower spring perch will have a 6" or so tall peice of 3 1/2 inch tubing in the middle plus something to hold the spring down.

3rd link mount....it will be boxed...and braced as the same location will be my track bar mount.

Picture of the rear of the link mounts....these are mounted to a peice of 2x4 tubing...thats welded to a 4x5 peice of 1/4 inch will be bolted to the frame from sides and bottom....

Added a little more bracing to this

Full bump link to frame clearance.

And then it was sitting on its own weight.....

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
And more....

7 quart pan.... the pan that came with the 351 was almost rusted through....and I figured since I have to get a new ones I might as well go nuts with it....came with pickup and dipstick(which I needed also)

Then I got my high steer arms

After that I got everything in place, all my mounts braced/gusseted, put it all back together and checked clearances....

This is as far as I could go with my jack safely...well not really safe but oh well....

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Then it was time to cut the bed.......

Cut about 13 inches(cant remember now) out of the bed right behind the cab to get it to fit the frame/wheel wells...

Cut and ready to weld...

*Copied from original thread* June 2010
Ok this is prolly gonna be the last progress to her before I leave on Monday....Will return in late December and hopefully get to work and be done for some spring wheeling...Maybe...haha....

But I got the bed welded up. Spray painted for new to keep the rust off till I get to painting the whole thing.
Also got it all bolted down....I was not sure how uneven the mounting was going to be because of the bracing hitting the rise in the frame but the body lines are real close so Im running with it...Shits all bolted....and got to see how much travel I can get without cutting fenders...I like it....alot...wish I could drive it now!!!!!!!

Its not the cleanest, but im no body man and getting this thing lined up straight was a pain in the ass..... Oh well its just going to get beat off trees anyways....but ill put a little filler in it before I paint....

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
This brings me up to date on the build, as you can tell the last time I worked on it was June of this year....and it wont be until Late December before I get home and back to it. This is of course after making up for 6 months of missed sex with the girlfriend and drinking....

But I have been doing research on my time off.....so at least I can keep fresh on it...
I think I decided on using a FJ60 gear box, and doing hydro assist to keep it legal....That will be the first thing when I get home.
Then I will worry about getting the wiring done and getting it running...That will be a great feeling.....

Comments? Questions? Things you would have done different? Lets hear it!

Last edited:

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think this thing is TITs, can't wait to see it going. Great work!!

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think this thing is TITs, can't wait to see it going. Great work!!
yeah big ones at that lol ......glad you posted it up here....sweet rig. :headbang:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I can afford 60's this is what im doin to mine minus the 351

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forget about it being street legal bronameth. Unless you're payin off the Bartontucky po po's you're screwed. That's were I got nailed for all my truck related stuff.

Looks good though, its refreshing to see the build thread again haha. Can't wait till next summer :headbang:

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
It should be legal except the tire sticking out from the body so much

But I don't think ill be driving it anywhere with the 39s at least. I'm trying to find some 35-37" all terrains or something kinda skinny to throw on the stock rims to keep it a little less obvious.
With smaller tires the bumper height should be OK.
I cant wait to get back at it!!!

But you are correct Bartonville PoPo's are the worst when it comes that that kinda thing. Too much time on their hands I guess...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals