• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1 piece driveline swap, quick question.

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When getting a 1 piece from a 98+, I know it doesn't matter what tranny it has, and obviously it needs to be a super cab (as this is what I have). My question is does it matter what engine size I get the shaft from?

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I Think a 3.0 or 4.0 I finally gave up searching junkyards nobody around here has them I just bought one for a 2001 ranger for $60 off ebay it should be here in a couple days the size difference is unbelievable it 4 inches across.
Heres the link to the thread http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/offroad.htm

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
No I don't think it matters. You'll have to trim your gas tank skid plate as well.

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah,I think just taking off the bearing mount plate and notching it won't help me I think I'm going to have to move the cross member forward to clear the shaft

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah,I think just taking off the bearing mount plate and notching it won't help me I think I'm going to have to move the cross member forward to clear the shaft
You shouldn't have to but you can just sawzall the whole crossmember that supports the carrier bearing.

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I read the mag article already, didn't see anything about engine size. I didn't think it would matter as far as engine size goes. I do believe you will have to move your x-member, 93 4x4. I'm only 4" lifted so I think I can squeak by without moving the whole thing. Yeah, those aluminum shafts are huge!

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I can't say from experience or anything. I'm just going off of the article about moving the x-member for anything over 4" of lift.

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was working on a job site today and a two wheel drive 2002 ranger supercab auto trans pull in and I look under it the shaft is different has a slip yoke and was aluminum but it was 4'' wide I think I'm going to keep the cross member for frame strength

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't think it will matter much one way or the other if you keep it or not, it's only attached to the lower framerail lips. Perhaps it could offer a little protection for the driveshaft while offroad, though it still wouldn't be protecting the most vulnerable part of it (right near the rear axle flange).

SchmigShady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 5.5 inchs of lift and i never had to move my cross member or trim my gas tank but my one piece shaft is not aluminum its steal so maybe its not as big as around. hadn't really took it off road since i installed it either so i dunno if its gonna rub or not but it looks like it got plenty of clearnce.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I don't think it will matter much one way or the other if you keep it or not, it's only attached to the lower framerail lips. Perhaps it could offer a little protection for the driveshaft while offroad, though it still wouldn't be protecting the most vulnerable part of it (right near the rear axle flange).
I agree....I originally kept mine when it had the 4" lift, but once I went higher than that I had to remove it to prevent rubbing. I was skeptical at first, but it doesnt affect anything and you'll never know its gone. Its still possible to relocate it forward if you feel the need.

I have 5.5 inchs of lift and i never had to move my cross member or trim my gas tank but my one piece shaft is not aluminum its steal so maybe its not as big as around. hadn't really took it off road since i installed it either so i dunno if its gonna rub or not but it looks like it got plenty of clearnce.
Interesting...You must not flex your suspension much then. At 6" of lift I couldnt even drive through my yard without it rubbing the gas tank skid plate, and thats with a steel driveshaft (the larger aluminum would be worse). If the awful noise wasnt enough to confirm it, the marks on the driveshaft were. With the vehicle at ride height the driveshaft doesnt sit very far away from the crossmember either and can come in contact with it offroading. I didnt even chance it by driving....Grabbed the angle grinder and went to town.:icon_welder:

So to recap...

At 0-4" of lift, you can get away with keeping the crossmember during light wheeing and slight trimming of the gas tank skid plate if needed.

At 4-6" of lift, the driveshaft is pretty close to the crossmember and will come in contact with it if you flex your suspension. Gas tank most definitely will need some triming, but the amount is determined by the diameter of driveshaft you have (smaller steel vs larger aluminum).

Hope this helps someone...:beer:

Last edited:

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Go ahead and remove it. But don't complain when your frame is twisted.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On my '97 with a 4" lift and the steel 1 piece was fine on road but once off road i noticed it did start rubbing on the cross member and when flexing the rear it rubs on the skid plate something fierce, I built a new cross member. Probably not necessary

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Go ahead and remove it. But don't complain when your frame is twisted.
Bullshit.

Took it out of my 91 6 years ago. The truck has been wheeled hard this entire time. No issues what so ever. Everyone else who has removed it will also tell you this.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bullshit.

Took it out of my 91 6 years ago. The truck has been wheeled hard this entire time. No issues what so ever. Everyone else who has removed it will also tell you this.
i pulled my cross member when i put the new drive shaft in a couple years ago, i've never had a problem with it. i didnt trim the skid plate though, i used a couple big crescent wrenches and bent the lip up and away from the drive shaft. i didnt want to pull the skid plate, and i didnt feel like throwing sparks at the trank either....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals