• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1 piece driveline swap, quick question.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i pulled my cross member when i put the new drive shaft in a couple years ago, i've never had a problem with it. i didnt trim the skid plate though, i used a couple big crescent wrenches and bent the lip up and away from the drive shaft. i didnt want to pull the skid plate, and i didnt feel like throwing sparks at the trank either....
I dropped the skid and used a torch to trim it, away from the gas tank. pretty easy, only 4 bolts.

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, I got the driveline in last night FINALLY..steel one piece from a 1998 Ranger. I haven't had any time lately to do anything it seems. Anyway, Got 'er in and the vibration in 1st gear has gone away. Buuuuuut, now I have a vibration at cruising speeds around 45-50 MPH. I loosely checked the u-joints, they seemed to have no play, the line itself has no dents and there isn't any red flags that I could see. Any suggestions other than check the u-joints further?

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Pinion angle? That high of a speed, wrong pinion angle might cause some vibration.

On a second note. I just did mine and said screw the cross member, it was easier to slice it in half then bang out the rivets, and still couldn't get it out after all 6 rivets.
I welded my perches at 6 or 8, i forget, and it's perfectly aligned.

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the crossmember was a huge pain in the ass. Luckily, I have access to two full Mac tool boxes and a lift : ) I have the stock 8.8 in there, so the perches haven't moved (unless one is broken and I didn't notice). I'm thinking it's the joints. Like I said, I didn't check them thoroughly; just skimmed 'em over.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If it's like a real low-frequency hum vibration, my guess would be u-joints also (or maybe the shaft needs to be balanced).

If it's more of a shaking vibration at that speed, I would be more suspect of the tires.

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's definately a low frequency hum. I've had the tire vibes for a long time now, and I'm sure of the difference in feel. I was thinking about the balance of the line as well. Know of a ballpark price to balance one of those?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals