• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1.9 turbo diesel

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im running a diesel because of the crazy torque and also because there easy to hook up and can prety much run underwater

mf135gas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 VW Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I know it's a bit of an old thread, but I have a 94 Ranger 4x4 with a 1.9 VW turbodiesel in it. I guy here does the conversions as a little business. I thought about attempting it myself, but it's a LOAD of work. I've done engine swaps before in old muscle cars - a cake walk compared to this job.

He uses the ford tranny on the VW engine, but this requires milling the crank to fit onto the Ford pressure plate assembly. Not a job for the faint of heart! He's got a jig set up to mill the crank without taking it out of the engine. There's also a fair amount of fiddling with the electrics - he mods the Ford sensors to fit onto the VW engine so the dash gauges and idiot lights work. Then there's custom motor mounts and brackets for the alternators and ps.

In the end it's a sharp little truck! Mine gets about 33 mpg but his 2wd versions run into the 40s. Performance is better than the 4 cyl engine, but doesn't quite match the 4 litre V6 - a small price to pay for the milage.

Not to mention the 1.9 TD is widely used in trucks and vans in Europe, so it runs along nicely.

The only problem is that 1st gear in the Ranger tranny is really too tall for the engine. You need to lay on the accelerator a bit more than normal when taking off. Otherwise it's geared nicely for highway speeds - about 2000 rpm at 65 mph.

Just got it this week, so time will tell on durability, but I'd be surprised if there will be a problem, I've had 4 VW diesels over the years, never had a single problem with the engines.

Next job is playing with the wastegate and boost pin :)

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Why not just run a 351W?

Plenty of power, its been done, and it can be done pretty easy compared to a diesel. Spically if you go carbed. More then enough power to move a ranger up, over or through anything youll need.

A 6BT? Good luck. A 300 I6 wont even fit without serious trimming...a 6BT youd have to have a doghouse the size of one in a E series van.

later,
Dustin

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Holy old thread batman..........

The only way I would go carbed on a dedicated trail rig is if it was running 'pane or cng...... but then it would have to be well turbo'd to make up for the lack of power....

A 6BT will fit in a ranger if you relocate the radiator to the bed........ its been done.

Last edited:

gn2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
there is a specific reason i put a 6.5 diesel in my ranger....overall use and the engines simplicity and operating charactoristics and the fact it was free were the biggest factors

You have a V8 diesel in a running ranger? There is a Powerstroke here as well, although its not running yet after a few years. How long does it take to do? Is it even practical? A 4 cylinder seems better all around. Where is your build-thread and your video's?

Who has done the 1.9?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Well from what I have seen, toyotas have passenger side drop t-cases. Rangers need driverside drop ones unless you plan on going with a divorced transfercase or do a SAS with a passengerside pumpkin axle.

john weeda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 td; 1.9 tdi
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1995 ranger with a 1995 turbo deisel in it works great gets about 30 mpg
i to am puting a tdi in to a 2004 ranger 4x4 the 1995 truck is using the 2.3L ranger trany. the starter is on the pasanger side so it fits under the turbo. For the four wheel drive im using the 2.3L gears and the back half of the 4.0 letter trany so the transfer case will bolt on.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
You have a V8 diesel in a running ranger? There is a Powerstroke here as well, although its not running yet after a few years. How long does it take to do? Is it even practical? A 4 cylinder seems better all around. Where is your build-thread and your video's?

Who has done the 1.9?

no video. theres a thread in this section...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35931

i have a 1995 ranger with a 1995 turbo deisel in it works great gets about 30 mpg
i to am puting a tdi in to a 2004 ranger 4x4 the 1995 truck is using the 2.3L ranger trany. the starter is on the pasanger side so it fits under the turbo. For the four wheel drive im using the 2.3L gears and the back half of the 4.0 letter trany so the transfer case will bolt on.

awesome. any more information on this??

ldriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be interested in an adapter for my bronco2, 2.8 manual.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi have that adapter in stock. Same as the 4L

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals