• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

09/00 to 01/02 Differences?

BigVWman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger supercab
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, New to TRS at least with this login and I have no idea what old one was. Long story short my 02 is getting tired. Keeping track of a low mileage drivetrain but it is slightly older. What am I overlooking that could make what I perceive as a super easy swap trouble? Any thoughts...I'm thinking Engine, trans, transfer case swap
Current daily is build bate 01/02 and potential donor is build date 09/00 both 4.0 4wd

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If I'm not mistaken... the 02 should have a 4.0L SOHC and the 00 would have a 4.0L OHV. Completely different engines.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If engine/drivetrain etc is good, just tired, I would just freshen it up with a rebuild....keep it original. Engine rebuild kit and take the trans to a shop for R&R is what I would do. Maybe throw in some new ring and pinion(s).

I've had a few Rangers, both in the 100k+ mile range...Mostly had to do transfer case and transmisson rebuild/replacements. Thankfully my buddy owns a transmission shop down the street, and there's a decent rear end shop around the corner...although sometimes I do the ring and pinion myself.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The 4.0 SOHC came out in the 2001 model year for the Ranger. I don't know when Ford started building the 2001s. You should check to see if the engine is a SOHC. Even if is an OHV, the transmission will still bolt up to your 4.0 SOHC. You will just only be able to use 7 bolts instead of 8 to bolt it to your engine. I understand that should not be a problem though.

I got a replacement remanufactured transmission for my 02 from Zumbrota under warranty with the wrong trans housing. I did not realize it until I went to put the last bolt in. I needed my truck and was too tired to pull it out and reinstall my old trans. I completed the install, and it worked just fine for me for about 4 weeks while I waited for them to re-manufacture another one to replace it. They tried to convince me it would be no problem with only 7 bolts, and I was kind of leaning that way. Then I thought about how much I spent on that remanufactured transmission and did not want to settle for something less than what was supposed to be in there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals