• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

08 Ranger ABS Problem

JDFeniello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

08 Ranger XLT 4x4 5 Speed, ABS kicks on at low speed. Ive narrowed it down to faulty speed sensor(s), as described exactly in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ve-eoHph2M

My question for you: is there a way short of going to a dealer or finding somebody with an expensive scanner to test which sensors are bad? And, does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the ABS electrical system?

According to a video from 1A Auto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQasuOrWBo&t=37s there is a difference from 08 onward in the rear sensor replacement procedure, which they do not detail. Also, my Chilton's manual is telling me that there is a sensor for each rear wheel, while all other sources are telling me there is only the single sensor on top of the rear dif, which sure looks to be the case having just gotten out from under my truck,

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

John

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have owned some less expensive scanners that do live data, even for the ABS system.

But no, short of getting a scanner on it there is very little that can be done to test them. If the system is only activating at low speed the problem is not likely to show on a volt meter. It is also more likely to be a tone ring than the sensor itself.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I had to replace the RF on my 06 a couple months ago. I thought it was easy to diagnose... when the ABS kicked in... it pulled left. Kinda told me it was the RF falling off the radar. I did take it to have it scanned... it was the RF dropping off below 5 mph.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
if you have an oscilloscope the waveform can be observed directly on the sensor connector as the wheel is rotated.
you can use an "antique" volt meter that is needle movement, not a display type. set it on the lowest voltage setting and rotate the wheel slowly. the needle will wiggle as the voltage fluctuates. the resistance scale will also wiggle the needle. you may be able to see the bad one. the different wheels need to spin at exactly the same speed for a correct test. the voltage increases as the wheel speeds up, so varying speeds will throw the results WAY off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals