• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

08 FX4 SAS

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Well I'm back. Been super busy with work so I haven't had a lot of time for the truck.

But I got the clutch issue fixed. Ended up being a failing master cylinder not allowing fluid to return, which was maintaining pressure on the slave and causing the clutch to slip. Of course I didn't find that out till I pulled the trans out. So I just changed the master, slave, throw out bearing and pilot bearing while I was in there. Clutch and flywheel looked perfect so I just reinstalled those.

Now the truck is up on jack stands. I decided to get new tires while the truck is down. It takes like 2 months to get these tires so might as well wait while the truck is broken anyways. Exact same tires just a fresh set. Hopefully I'll have them in June.

And the steering stuff has arrived! Nice big shipment from PSC. Pump, ram, reservoir, cooler and some other accessories. So next I'll be figuring out how to fit all that up.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's a pretty pricey looking pile-o-parts Mr. Bossley... Rock On man

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
First off I got myself a welder finally. I got tired of using a friends all the time. Liking it so far. I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. And I'm glad I got the bigger 210A. This thing rips!

Now an update on the hydro assist project.

I started off by trying to make the new pump work in the stock bracket. It bolted in but there wasn't enough room for the massive -12 feed. I tried notching the stock bracket but it was still a bit tight. I could have cut out more but I decided to just build a new bracket from scratch and delete the A/C. This frees up so much space for the new reservoir and also allows me to rotate the pump so the feed comes in the side. I don't like how Ford mounts the pump fed from the bottom. I think this setup is going to work much better.

Then I went on to mounting the ram and cooler. I used some of the old condenser brackets to mount the cooler. And just welded on the PSC brackets for the ram along with the Trail Gear tube clamp.

Next I have to figure out how to mount the reservoir just right for good flow into the pump. I'll have to make a bracket for that as well.

Then it will be on to drilling/tapping the steering box, making all the hoses and getting a new belt. Coming along nicely.

Attachments

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Pump and Reservoir are all mounted. And I picked up the new belt today. Getting there.

Attachments

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Got the box drilled and tapped for the ram yesterday. Reinstalled it, connected all the lines & started to bleed the system. But I ran out of fluid before I could finish. It took a full 2 litres and I haven't even started the truck yet! So I'll be getting more today and hopefully have this thing driving again.

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Great looking truck and pictures. Hopefully they will open the border soon if they haven't yet. Still need to do some exploring in BC. Bucket list item.

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Great looking truck and pictures. Hopefully they will open the border soon if they haven't yet. Still need to do some exploring in BC. Bucket list item.
Thank a lot! I've actually wanted to go check out some trails in WA lol. Some videos I've seen look decent.

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Well it's done. Got it all wrapped up today. I haven't even taken it for a test drive yet but I messed around in the driveway a bit and it seems to work.

What a project. It all went pretty smooth but still was a ton of work. Can't wait to test it out. Hopefully next weekend.

Attachments

alex25s16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/RangerFX4
Transmission
Automatic
First off I got myself a welder finally. I got tired of using a friends all the time. Liking it so far. I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. And I'm glad I got the bigger 210A. This thing rips!

Now an update on the hydro assist project.

I started off by trying to make the new pump work in the stock bracket. It bolted in but there wasn't enough room for the massive -12 feed. I tried notching the stock bracket but it was still a bit tight. I could have cut out more but I decided to just build a new bracket from scratch and delete the A/C. This frees up so much space for the new reservoir and also allows me to rotate the pump so the feed comes in the side. I don't like how Ford mounts the pump fed from the bottom. I think this setup is going to work much better.

Then I went on to mounting the ram and cooler. I used some of the old condenser brackets to mount the cooler. And just welded on the PSC brackets for the ram along with the Trail Gear tube clamp.

Next I have to figure out how to mount the reservoir just right for good flow into the pump. I'll have to make a bracket for that as well.

Then it will be on to drilling/tapping the steering box, making all the hoses and getting a new belt. Coming along nicely.
Just wondering what welder you got?

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
So the steering and clutch have been working awesome but more parts are piling up. Must be time for a rear diff swap lol

I was hearing a some squeaking coming from the rear end so I checked the drum brakes and found a broken tensioner cable and a bent shoe. Something must have bound up in there. But instead of rebuilding the drums I figured I might as well put the explorer diff in finally. And while I'm at it put in some 5.5" Chevy leaf springs. Hopefully they give me the ride height I'm going for with no lift blocks.

Getting started on it this weekend. Should be fun.

Attachments

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Here's my progress. I got the springs and hangers removed. Removing those frame rivets was kind of a pain but I got them with a combination of grinding, drilling and air-hammering. Did it all without removing the box so that's nice.

Then I decided I want to do my sliders while I'm in here. I've been tripping over them in my shop so they need to go. And I also decided to make it a bit more difficult on myself by making them bolt-on/removable. So I've spend the last few shop sessions fabbing the mounts and cleaning the frame for paint.

I have the sliders hanging by the middle mount for now. Still need to finish the front and rear mounts then gusset everything. After that I'll resume the spring/diff swap lol.

But this morning I'm leaving for a week long vacation on Vancouver Island. :cool:

Attachments

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Well I'm back from the island. Did the full tour from top to bottom. What a beautiful place. Now its back to work..

I got the gas tank removed so I can drill the holes on the driver side. Those fuel line connectors were kicking my ass for a while but I managed to get them off without breaking. Cleaned probably a few pounds of dirt from inside the frame and crossmembers. I found some reducer spacers for the spring hangers and got them welded in. These shrink the hole size to 9/16" to match the chevy leafs. Stock ranger hole was 5/8". Then got both spring hangers mounted. Now I need to finish the last mounts for the sliders, weld some nuts inside the frame where the tank sits, paint the frame, then throw the tank and new springs in.

I decided I'm going to get the truck back on the road with the stock diff for now. Just test out the new leafs, see how everything sits, and do some wheeling. My buddy and I are itching to go out so I'll build the new diff as much as I can while the truck is usable. Then it should be a fairly quick swap once it's ready.

Attachments

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Last edited:

Mr. Bossley

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Around 6-7"
Tire Size
38x15.5
Why did you move the front leaf spring hangers forward? The Chebby leafs longer?

Also. where did you find those reducer bushings? I really could have used those on my 2001 when I swapped in the FR34 leafs.

Are they these 5/8" to 9/16" - https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/products/reducer-spacer?variant=32409791332427
Yes the Chevy leafs are about 6" longer. This should position the axle close to stock and keep the shackle angle right. In theory.

I got mine from barnes 4wd. Called repair washers. They are 3/4" to 9/16"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals