• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 08 2.3 thermostat replacement

carbuff

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So i got the dreaded p0128 for the stuck open thermostat. The part is cheap and it looks like 2 hoses and 3 bolts and its off. Is it that easy? Any pitfalls to look out for? Thanks.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
mine was easy.

carbuff

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
mine was easy.
Yeah, it looks to be that way. I actually cleared the code and the light has stayed off. It has plenty of heat even when the light was on. I also checked as it was warming up, the top hose was hot but the hose leading from the thermostat housing was cold. Eventually it became hot when the thermostat opened up. So it seems to be working at the moment. Ive got the part, if it happens again Ill replace it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.5l mt 2wd
Transmission
Manual
unhelpful post, story time: i was in the middle of nowhere across the country when my thermostat got stuck open. there was no light to tell me but i did see the engine temp gauge rise above halfway which i had never seen so i pulled over. i was able to get a local mechanic to look at my car at about 5:45pm and then he had me back on the road by noon the next day :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals