• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 ranger engine/tranny compatible with my 02 B3000?

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
I'm taking a look at an 07 ranger engine/tranny combo for sale. If it's compatible, how should verify its condition? Can you check compression by hand? I know you need to have it running to build it up but can you gather some info that way? What other ways can you check the condition of an engine. Only applies if it's compatible. And where do you check for parts compatibility? Thanks

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
You can buy a flexible shaft camera, attach to your phone, pull a spark plug & insert the shaft into the hole. you will be able to see the bores, combustion chambers. Look into Rock Auto catalog at both vehicles to compare the engine parts listing. Mazda V-6's were 2.5 & 2.7 and other larger ones. V-6 mills in Ranger were 3.0 and 4.0. Some 4.0 were OHC (German origin) and some were SOHC (Mazda.)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2007 Ranger 3.0l/Mazda B3000 will be the same as a 2003 Ranger 3.0l/Mazda B3000, so direct swap
Both will have
3.0l Vulcan engine
5R44E automatic, or M5OD-R1 manual

No other engine/trans combo would be a direct swap

2003 and 2007 3.0ls will use different engine wiring harness so you should probably swap over your 2003 intake, complete with injectors, to the 2007 engine, that also takes care of any Flex-fuel/gas only issues

No, not much you can check on engines and transmissions when they can not be run or driven
Check the smell and look of the fluids, that's about the best you can do

If its in a shop you can do leak down test with air compressor

As said above you can use a bore scope to check cylinders in an engine

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Thanks guys. Turned out it was a 4 banger. I'll keep looking. Was a good deal though at $500. Or maybe not

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals