• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 level II YELLOW submarine

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
It's been a long winter down here in the banana belt in Texas.....

I've been relying on the Yellow Sub now for about 10 months, and so far not much surprises. The inside of the front tires have been wearing out and it is becoming an issue. Ball joints? Has a couple of degrees of negative camber. Looking at a new set of tires, however I don't want them to get eaten up. Guess I'll have to stop by my local alignment shop and consult further. I did fix that pesky oil leak up front. Thought it was something else, turns it was the oil (idiot light sender) sensor leaking like crazy. Got that R&R'd but I did find some alarming when I was down there. A wire harness that had rubbed it's self all but through the wires. Simply from vibration. Located right next to the oil sender on my 4.0L dog motor. So have a look 'yall. I repaired the harness using sone 3/4" heavy wall hose split duwn the side and wrapped the heck out of it with some of that cheap chinese electrical tape. I'm realizing that all the 4wd rotating assemblies will need some going through. The previous owner had just replaced the forward drive shaft saying that the vibration was the clue that it needed to go. I wonder if he got it aligned correctly. There must be some procudure to use a mag base dial indicator, and turn it by hand. Nothing is leaking so far. Just thing that the tires are the culprit with the road vibrations. Even with a new balance. With 140kmi, it's no wonder. Thinking a new set of 31's will remove the "bad tire" sound. Cheapo chinese junk tires is what it came with up front. The coilover conversion may have to wait, but I did get a Hobart Mig welder. Did find some shock towers, and will keep studying on what I need to do staying away from the "you know what you should of done" thoughts & feelings. Shock hoops? Hey why not! I should find the local group of off roaders.

Got the fan speed resistor & cable replaced after I realized one day that it was ether too hot or too cold inside. The interior has been at a stand still while I am still recovering from 4 shoulder procedures. But I have been getting used to all the extra organization area, which I require inside the center console. I needs me some "sole", console you know.

I did go to town in 4wd high the other day. Road was 100% packed snow. 12 degrees outside. Loved it! - Doug

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
With so many miles on this Texas gurl, she starting to give some bad vibrations. Not in the steering wheel, but from the tires or drivetrain....mainly at speeds of ~65mph when OFF the throttle, in 2WD. I think it's time to put her on a lift OR jackstands and inspect -rotate- yank on some stuff. See what I can see. Maybe I could simply start by taking the rear driveshaft to a driveline balancer, or does this have a carrier bearing? Time to crawl under the carriage. Maybe the front driveshaft which was just replaced by the previous owner. I'm wondering if it has gone out of alignment. If in fact there is such a thing, I'll check the fasteners for tightness. Magnetic base & a dial indicator should show out of center rotation. I would not be surprised if this could be any (or all) of the driveline components will come into question. I know the axles are "live". With 147Kmi, stuff is plum worn out

As far as the tires are concerned, I might as well pull the trigger on some new 33" M/T's. But the Level 2 wheels need some new clearcoat. Did these come in satin or gloss? Does anyone know?

I'll be letting you all know what or if I discover anything conclusive. Your advice is truly needed especially like me, everything is worn out! - Doug

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I think that the front driveshaft may be worn out as far as the end that connects to the transfer case. I know when I replace mine, I am going to spring for the Superlift driveshaft for lifted Rangers with the improved design.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hello 09fx4guy,

You're exactly correct. That was the last thing my previous owner replaced. AND, he forgot to tighten the rear driveshaft to the diff. I found 3 loose 12 point bolts & 1 missing. Vibration repaired. Also changed the transfer case fluid, which came out very milky. Put 1.25qts of Mercon V inside.

I very serious considering leveling the front end. Plus doing a coilover modification with Shawn's kit. The Fox shocks, springs & Shawn's modification parts will be Apx $1k. No more cement truck. My back needs some relief.
-Maicodoug

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Wow, lucky you found that the driveshaft bolts were loose. Did the PO use any blue loctite on them?

I found that with a new set of torsion bars and the Rancho shocks, the ride actually isn't that bad. If the torsion bars are original, a replacement set would run you about $200 from Tasca, and would probably help a bit as far as ride height and ride quality. You really would not have to do much to level the front end because you already have the earlier pre 2008 keys.

Then again, I think that is because I do not want to attempt the coil over conversion kit (yet). It's a little more than I would like to attempt right now.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
I went to the dealer parts dept & purchased the correct 12 point bolts. They came w/ red locktite already on them. I have never ever owned a truck with TB's. The ones I've rode in are exactly like this one. Heavy Duty no doubt. I'm a fab'er, welder. The TB's are cranked and sagging when called on to do so over bumps. So far, no dramatic top outs. The shocks are Rauncho's RS55125 & RS55374. The ride is substantially improved.

Looking at some Mickey Thompson 33X12.50R15LT Tire, Baja ATZ P3 (55532) - 90000001912. 4WP is giving these away, set of 4 for $600, savings of $200. Stimulus check good for new tires. I'll post pics when it's leveled with 33s.
- MaicoDoug

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I know when I had my original torsion bars (b rated), I had to have the driver side almost maxed out, and it rode kind of rough. When I switched to the #1 bars, I did not have to have the adjuster bolt maxed out, only 1/2 way, and the ride improved quite a bit.

If it were me, I would not go to 33's, that tire might be a tight fit and also contribute to a rough ride and less performance. That tire weighs about 58 pounds. I would stick to maybe a 31 or 32" P metric lighter tire.

But if you can make them fit and that is what you want, then go for it. (My dad had similar advice for me when I wanted to put 265/75R16 BFG All Terrains on my truck)

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Well it just so works out that 4WP had a "Web Error"? Those tires that I mentioned are 6 weeks out from M/T. But....you still get 1 free IF you buy 4 as the current sale. At the Dallas warehouse, there is a 32" (Mickey Thompson 32X11.50R15LT, Deegan 38 - Mud Terrain (56521) - 90000020917), but these are $200 ea @ Discount Tire. Looks like that will be the one. I discovered another tire called Tri Ace, a Toyo knock off apparently. Their designs look ridiculous, however there is one called "Dakar MT" that looks interesting. They have been upsetting the regulars at Baja winning more than anyone else. But that was back in 2017/18. I sure miss my General red letter grabbers, and the frustrated librarian commercial too.

As far as the 2" lift is concerned. I think I'll figure it out myself. With Eibach & Fox getting my stimulus check. - Doug

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm gonna have to check out the 4WP sale. I bought my Cepek ties and pro comp wheels there a couple years ago. $1100 for 5 wheels and 5 tires lug nuts mounted and balanced with a road hazard warranty. I have a set of Alcoa's and want a set of the 33x10.50x15 Cepek Mud Country tires for them.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
The sale was replaced this last Friday & Saturday, however the sales guy mentioned that the regular 25% off (buy 3 get one free) may come back this week. Take care Unc.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Things are coming along. I re-finished the Alcoas. The outside rim was corroded from tire weights. Ran orbital sander with 240-320 around the problem areas, then some Scotchbrite sponge, 400 & 800 inside before a re-coat of Rustolium "Classic Clear". 3 light, & 1 heavy coat. Got a good gloss going. Should of been satin perhaps??

Welding up a new radiator support sometime in the near future. I'll have to pull the original one first to attempt to copy it. Then on to the interior.

These new meats are Mickey Thompson "Deegan 38" 32x11.50xR15. The other tires were junko chinese rejects. Terrible. Now these honeys can handle on the road, and so far unstoppable in the wet soil & adobe around here. These other tires I had had better than 3/8ths left. Glad there gone. I did get more than a few interested on an online marketplace. So I at least got paid $20 each. So what do you all think? Coilovers coming soon. Will most likely get them ordered this week. Going for a 2 inch lift MAX, Just level it out and get that ride that it should of had from the factory. Otherwise I'd have to build up some bigger (longer) A arms. Bob Fox gets my $$ again. Hi Bob. - Doug
MTs.jpg

tire.jpg

Last edited:

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
That, good sir, is a b-e-a-utiful truck.

I always like the Alcoa's on the Level II Ranger's. One day when I can find a nice set (and the budget allows) I am going to get the gray ones like that for my truck.

The core support is on my list as well, it seems that all the Rangers will need it replaced at some point or another. If I recall correctly, you can find a replacement one for not a lot of money. Sadly I do not have the welding equipment or experience to work on mine, so I will probably send it out to a body shop that I know that does good work. They will be faster and better than whatever I can do in my driveway.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Thx. The "new world" ability to pop plastic fasteners without breaking them and stomaching the idea of it all, it goes fast. No matter what, any old school mechanic ends up with a scar on their brain after screwing with the whole "push the plastic fastener" love affair. May just improve what's there under the rad. Everything is rust free except under there. Weird.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hello all,

The yellow sub's getting more than ready for some front end satisfaction surgery. Just ordered an OEM front kit, a Detroit Axle front end parts assembly. Inner & outer tie rods, new lower upper & lower A arms that come with new ball joints, & some new sway bar links, & rubbers. I did also receive the coilover conversion kit finally. It was worth waiting for. I selected not to have it powder coated, though it will receive some paint. Going on the front are going to be some new one piece headlight buckets with a DRL function, and some kind of driving lights. The stock little square DRLs will somehow actually become usable driving lights. I have the 25w LEDs. I can only imagine going with a larger reflector to better facilitate a usable projected beam from that little hole in the bumper. Maybe a trip down to the local junkyard again may discover that bumper with the "driving" light. Anyway I have a boat switch panel & finalizing the inside console design which is still up in the air.

Here is what I just received from Shawn....Doug
CCP.jpg

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Progress is happening. Pulled out everything including the torsion bars (will make a good weapon) and associated bracketing. That alone will save 50 pounds. The coilover conversion kit got primed and some silver paint. I have only got as far as test fitting the lower control arm with the lower shock mounting bracket aligned with the upper one which will need the shock installed between both points. The exact upper position will requite a slight tilt (bottom towards the rear) to best point along and down the shock body.

Aluminum shock soft jaws from Kartek will allow me to grip the shock shaft without damage I pray. Need to swap out the lower eyelet as all Ford's require the extended eyelet installed. The Detroit Axle vendor on ebay shipped one upper A arm with a greaseable Zerk & the other without (OEM style). Otherwise, this vendor's parts look like the real deal. Oh well, it's an easy swap out when that time comes. The upper & lower ball joints were worn out, but not as bad as some I've seen. The steering rod ends & inner rods were I believe had been replaced ~30Kmi before.

Corrosion control....nothing terrible. Lower radiator bracket does show some delaminating. More on that here in a bit, the rest of the rust will receive a couple coats of black primer for now. Starting to look for front bumper designs that I can MIG up.

Let me get those eyelets exchanged out and I'll post some pictures. - Doug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals