• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 level II YELLOW submarine

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@MaicoDoug Please DO NOT put tweety bird on your truck. Every yellow vehicle in the world has had a tweety bird sticker at least once in it's life. Break the Cycle. Be original and find a DIFFERENT yellow Icon to emblazon your vehicle. There are Minions (still a little silly), Sponge BOB Squarepants, Pikachu, Bart Simpson ( or Homer), Big Bird, The DOG from "Adventure Time", a bumble bee. Please, anything but Tweety. Unless of course you put Conway Tweety in the CD player.
Not spongebob, stupidest cartoon character ever!

Break the mold and don't put a character sticker on it at all. Maybe a TRS sticker on the slider. I have a NLOC (National Lightning Owners Club) sticker on the slider of my Lightning. Other than that, no stickers on any of my vehicles. Under the hood, yeah, externally, NOPE!

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Just curious OP, when you look at the door tag on the driver door, what are the 4 letters under the "spring code" section. Perhaps something like 11CC?

Also, I cannot talk about stickers on vehicles. The back window of my truck consists of quite a few stickers.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Yea, the Dole sticker. Classic. About what this thing is worth....$0.39 / lb.

New shocks..........
The fix is in...........

No more stutter bumps making me stutter. The Rancho 5000x did the trick. Almost as good as my '13 F150. The front came up just a hair during driving. No more front end diving. I now know what the throttle does whine turning. Much, much more control at low speeds, during transitions. From stopping to back on the throttle time is much less. Before I guess I was waiting for the suspension to settle down. The part numbers selected had slightly more travel (1/2") then the other 2 sets of the front & rear. All new hardware was included in the front pair.

The yellow is not the school bus "Caterpillar" safety yellow that we all know, but this is the Lemon yellow. Ford called it "sunshine" yellow I believe. I certainly caught my eye when I saw the ad in the faceplant "market place". When I saw the pictures and all that yellow, well. The wife was the first one to mention something. Well heck I said, today you can have any color in a new vehicle as long as it's silver, dark silver, white or black, and oh yea....blue. I'm still not sold at the dark silver bottom color choice, the wheels included. If I went with a red highlight color, it would be a German magnet. "guten tag mein fraulein " . Yes, all joking aside, the lemon yellow will work, draw some more attention for sure. The intention with this truck will be a grocery getter, Saturday night cruising, most importantly on any Sunday doing some ad hoc offroading. With others is the safest way to go. So it will be a driver. With a couple more small fixes, she'll be ready for the 2nd stage. But right now I'm still getting to know her.

Things left to do within this first stage:

1) Passenger kick door snap in cover
2) New windshield
3) Interior goodies; nicer center console, overhead, forward console, adjusting the rear door stops & installing new stops to keep from rattling. Some stops installed to help t-shooting of loose door latch.
4) New headlight buckets that are rated for LEDs
5) The front skid plate is missing. Will have to fab something out of aluminum & see how it works. If it fits good, or I get something that extends underneath the front, then I might as well continue it down to the front pig head.

I got the driver's rear door to stop rattling, now for the passenger rear door which is already tight. What I'm using to experiment are rubber feet I purchased at HD. I had to superglue 2 of then on top of each other to reach. Need to see what the auto parts stores around here have onhand once I figure out where & how much is required to keep backpressure against the door when it's closed. Junkyard run!!!

- Doug

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
09fx4guy,

I have not looked into what springs I have. Thanks for the inquiry. What do you see? thx- Doug

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I am glad the shocks helped. If they were original shocks to the truck, the definitely needed replacment.

In the SPR section, it has 11cc, which denotes the #1 torsion bars in the front, and the C (strongest) rear leaf springs. That is what usually should be on a Ranger FX4, but I know on mine, it came with B torsion bars, and when I upgraded to #1 bars, it got better.

Also, check those rear shocks, the part number is RS55125, which I think may be a little short for your truck. RS55126 may be better for your application. Check on Rancho's website, and you can see the difference between the RS55125 and the RS55126 in compressed and extended length. It's not much, but perhaps it may be enough for the shocks to max out when driving. (If I am wrong, someone else please chime in.)

I do love those 15 inch grey Alcoa's. If you ever want to get rid of them, there will be plenty of people who would buy them.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15

Found an 08 with nice glossy black fender guards. Darned. Anyway, here is what I scrounged from 2 different Explorers. The overhead console will extend all the way back to my existing dome light, came with the well rusted sheetmetal mounting bracket. The installation may require a 1/2 inch of trimming off the flip down visors. The center console will be a nice upgrade. Some trimming may be required. First thing is to clean & sand then find some (Plasticote?) vinyl semigloss or satin colored black rattle can. Could transfer the VAC control up top with some extra wires and open up a nice slot below the radio for a 2-way transceiver.

09fx4guy, A big THX for your spring report. I did extract a couple of things already, but have not done the complete VIN investigation, but besides the springs, got most of it.

Here is some china junk that might be interesting. The Autool X90. Has a compass, GPS locator, elevation, 2 axis tilt. The wide measurement is 170mm. Would fit into the HVAC area in the overhead console. Has any of yall ever heard or have a field test with the Autool X90?

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
View attachment 49198

Found an 08 with nice glossy black fender guards. Darned. Anyway, here is what I scrounged from 2 different Explorers. The overhead console will extend all the way back to my existing dome light, came with the well rusted sheetmetal mounting bracket. The installation may require a 1/2 inch of trimming off the flip down visors. The center console will be a nice upgrade. Some trimming may be required. First thing is to clean & sand then find some (Plasticote?) vinyl semigloss or satin colored black rattle can. Could transfer the VAC control up top with some extra wires and open up a nice slot below the radio for a 2-way transceiver.

09fx4guy, A big THX for your spring report. I did extract a couple of things already, but have not done the complete VIN investigation, but besides the springs, got most of it.

Here is some china junk that might be interesting. The Autool X90. Has a compass, GPS locator, elevation, 2 axis tilt. The wide measurement is 170mm. Would fit into the HVAC area in the overhead console. Has any of yall ever heard or have a field test with the Autool X90?

I can attest that when your truck reaches a funky enough angle that you want an inclinometer to measure it, you have much more important things to do than look at an inclinometer. Your view out the windows automatically tells you “Oh, shit. This is too much angle!” You will also feel a tightness down below as your butt tries to grab the seat cushion and hold on for dear life.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Oh Darn...I knew I should have looked at that tilt meter !!! ;missingteeth;

Attachments

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Grumpaw, I not sure what sort alarms it has, but the red flashing ABORT, ABORT will be appropriate.

THANK YOU for the FORD badge!!!

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
You are most welcome .

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I was cool with all of this... until the "meow" coffee cup.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Bubble wrap? We are in a post plastic society! You couldn't use a biodegradable packing material!? Shame... SHAME ON YOU!

To the corner with you grumpaw!

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Bubble wrap? We are in a post plastic society! You couldn't use a biodegradable packing material!? Shame... SHAME ON YOU!

To the corner with you grumpaw!
Hay...it was reused. Came in another package and I repurposed it.
I passed it on to Maico, now it's his turn to re-use it !

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok... Ill let it slide

THIS TIME!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals