• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 level II YELLOW submarine

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Good morning ggomez2,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163244983033

https://www.detroitaxle.com/

Going with the ebay route, I was sent sealed & zerk fitted parts. Different for each side. OK with me, just not what I was expecting. Apparently this was a "shelf clearing" attempt to clear out what they had. As far as the parts quality are concerned, I really had no other choice in light of all the other chinese options as they never came as an OEM issued part as the Detroit Axle did. So in view of any, "upgrades" as long as I'm going with "stock" parts & I can't find anything better, I believe I'll be fine.

Hey post some pictures man.
Thx for inquiring!
-Doug
I personally stay away from Detroit Axle parts... just cheap China junk. They use the Detroit Axle name to make you think "Motor City". It must be good right?

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
I personally stay away from Detroit Axle parts... just cheap China junk. They use the Detroit Axle name to make you think "Motor City". It must be good right?
Well heck, I guess all the original OEM parts are long gone by now then. Most likely sold to china....

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
My truck ate my FOX shock reservoir.....

To finish off coil over mod project, I positioned the coilover reservoirs out of the way of my 32's inside the fenderwell, and they were "placed out of the way". At least that was the plan. With the trusty wife and THE Ranger attempting to steer into a "primo" parking spot at the local freek show (walmart) one early morning, I was greeted with a sound that equaled to what I thought was the sequential rhythm of my M/T's knobs spinning by something engaging inside my passenger side fenderwell. Hearing this unexpected noise, I immediately inquired to my wife, "what did you do"? I came to discover what a chinsie job I did of attaching that coffee can sized shock reservoir to the paper thin fenderwell liner. So the project was seemingly unfinished, this after 3 thousand miles with no indication otherwise.

Step 1), remove leaking shock and now leaking hose, with shock reservoir still attached (loosely). Step 2, box & send back to FOX located somewhere up in the great "white" north. Why did they locate their service center where there is no market? Maybe there are some off-roaders up there. I had it back in my lap 8 days later! Thanks FOX! No stickers however. Step 3, discover someway to re-enforce the same exact place as so not to have the mounting hardware breakthrough the way too thin inner fenderwell liner as it did already. Need to grab a couple pieces of aluminum sheetmetal and fab up some. The issues are expected to present themselves as, tight, un-accessible, & permanent.

Maybe visit my local junk yard and sawzall out the same exact area that failed and then place it in where it is supposed to go with the re-enforcing new sheetmetal already attached and screw the whole thing "up in there". The screwclamp had pulled through the fender liner is how it failed. The brake hose kickout area is not the smoothest surface to attempt to mate up a curved piece of sheetmetal into, but the same exact piece overlaid onto the existing one would work with some added 6061-T6. The most simple solution should be the best one should think, but this is a 2007 Ranger fenderwell liner......Pictures coming.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Nice... what's Level 2? Options?

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
140k miles is all? So go over it, check everything, it'll be good for another 140k.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
1658227071838.jpeg

Insta-plate w/ sone slots for the "Ideal" brand steel hoseclamp. This is a decent brand as I normally lube my hose clamps which makes most cheap junk instantly start stripping out, and thus failing.

1658227266288.jpeg

For some reason I have an endless supply of 10-32 flathead stainless steel screws, so this project allows for the use of some. I had to cut the supplied rubber mounts flat on one side.

1658227474245.jpeg

It's been a long and early hot summer here in south central Texas with the temps dipping down to 80 and up to 110+ each day now for going on 3 months. I'm cooling off the garage and sitting here with my old win 7 laptop. I have the screw clamps installed along with the reservoir mounting plate. Just need to re-assemble the coilover shock and install. Then do it all over again on the other side. And pray that they are out of the way (as before). I remember cycling the suspension with the tire mounted and had 2" of clearance before.

Once you retire, projects "abound" you. This is one that I should of thought out better, but that other guy (the guy that always stands in front of me each morning at the bathroom mirror) he's the one that never put enough of thought into finishing the job right, showing off my fabrications skills.

What the heck is a "Level II" ?? Well, I can say that, a it's yellow ~
Of the few years these were made, there were a few hundred models. Mainly it was a pre-combined trim package. You can spot one right off if you look for the dark silver paint matching the forged Alcoa wheels along the entire length under the door, leather buckets, fancy stereo, electric windows, mirrors, rear window, center console, HDPE black bed liner, special 8.9" limited slip differential, this one has a 4.10 ratio.

As hopefully you read in this thread that the ride as I initially received the truck, drove like a "cement" truck. So far the coilover mod has performed well and holding it's alignment as per my alignment guy. The shock tower and lower A arm must be re-enforced. Nothing terrible however, but well worth it to move away from the torsion bar setup in my opinion, having an off-road suspension back ground, mainly with light weight designs. Road and daily driving have at least a requirement to add double reliability to the setup as their are always other folks relying on your work to not intrude on their health & welfare with your bolts and bad welds flying around on the road.

Last edited:

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Sheet metal screwed to the thin fenderwell liner. The reservoir is not going anywhere. Should have a small extension & a 90 degree fitting on the shock. Need to have a nitrogen pressure filling apparatus ans some more 1/4" swagelok fittings.

1658408005991.jpeg

1658408311980.jpeg

Here it all is....

1658411460139.jpeg

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hello all,

The yellow sub's getting more than ready for some front end satisfaction surgery. Just ordered an OEM front kit, a Detroit Axle front end parts assembly. Inner & outer tie rods, new lower upper & lower A arms that come with new ball joints, & some new sway bar links, & rubbers. I did also receive the coilover conversion kit finally. It was worth waiting for. I selected not to have it powder coated, though it will receive some paint. Going on the front are going to be some new one piece headlight buckets with a DRL function, and some kind of driving lights. The stock little square DRLs will somehow actually become usable driving lights. I have the 25w LEDs. I can only imagine going with a larger reflector to better facilitate a usable projected beam from that little hole in the bumper. Maybe a trip down to the local junkyard again may discover that bumper with the "driving" light. Anyway I have a boat switch panel & finalizing the inside console design which is still up in the air.

Here is what I just received from Shawn....Doug
View attachment 60167
What was your source for these? Can't find it in the thread...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would like to have the torsion bars that you removed if you didn't throw them out.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would like to have the torsion bars that you removed if you didn't throw them out.
I should add... if they're the code 1 (1.090 diameter).

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I should add... if they're the code 1 (1.090 diameter).
Iirc sarge and I got ours off of Tasca... not sure if they still carry them though

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Uncle Gump,
Let me measure them, sure deal, 1.09" dia. I'm in Texas, where is you? They are all yours. I was saving these for a gun barrel, or sword. But if you want them, theys be yourin. - Doug

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I should move to Texas... just to damn hot.

Yes... correct on the size. Should also be stamped. I know you took them out to do coilovers... there wasn't any indication that they were worn out or anything... correct?

I'm in Illinois

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
UG,

Good morning. I cranked them all the way up to see what it would take to level it out. It leveled out, but the ride ( as expected) was too stiff, so if that tells you anything. Other than that, the ball joints were the issue with the handling. Those have been replaced along with everything else. So far must have 10Kmi on the Fox / Eibach coil over setup with no issues. Actually this ranger really handles sweet. I can cruse right through the rough stuff. I'll look for a stamp or marking on the bars.

I remember at Chanute AFB, just north of Champagne, the temp was 98 & the humidity was 98, and we were almost dead wearing those green fatigues. Never been that soggy without rain in my life. It was the corn fields. Noth'in like that around here. We get the humidity but nothing like that.

There is a hot rod shop with a bunch of space for stuff, very nice shop that just came up for sale here in 77808. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7011-S-Fm-2038-Bryan-TX-77808/67388264_zpid/

Let me give you a quote on what it will cost to roll these up to ya, you bet ya! Ufta.

I should post this elsewhere, but watching this.....man.... I need to get a life, and another TIG machine.

Doug

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
UG,

Good morning. I cranked them all the way up to see what it would take to level it out. It leveled out, but the ride ( as expected) was too stiff, so if that tells you anything. Other than that, the ball joints were the issue with the handling. Those have been replaced along with everything else. So far must have 10Kmi on the Fox / Eibach coil over setup with no issues. Actually this ranger really handles sweet. I can cruse right through the rough stuff. I'll look for a stamp or marking on the bars.

I remember at Chanute AFB, just north of Champagne, the temp was 98 & the humidity was 98, and we were almost dead wearing those green fatigues. Never been that soggy without rain in my life. It was the corn fields. Noth'in like that around here. We get the humidity but nothing like that.

There is a hot rod shop with a bunch of space for stuff, very nice shop that just came up for sale here in 77808. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7011-S-Fm-2038-Bryan-TX-77808/67388264_zpid/

Let me give you a quote on what it will cost to roll these up to ya, you bet ya! Ufta.

I should post this elsewhere, but watching this.....man.... I need to get a life, and another TIG machine.

Doug
Hey sorry to bug you again, but which coilover brackets did you wind up using?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals