• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

06 Ranger 4.0L 4X4 Disengaging

06DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I am having an issue with my 06 ranger, I live in NB Canada and it gets pretty snowy and my 4x4 is a must especially for my work! I noticed before my truck began to jerk in 4wd and I didn't understand why until a few months ago on a snowy day I realized it was disengaging while driving as everything was going well and then all of a sudden the RPM's ramped up and the truck started fishtailing wide open as I let off the accelerator it kicked back in. My go to thought was Transfercase motor since my truck has 250 000kms and that the actuator it self was pretty rusty. I tried one that a friend has who had it pulled it out of a junkyard trunk and it did the same exact thing so then I figured transfercase. My friend also had a transfercase that has 90 000kms on it so I took a night and changed it but boom same thing so I thought maybe my luck is just that shitty and it was 2 bad transfercase motors. I ordered a brand new one off rockauto since OEM is like 500$ and installed it 30mins ago in my yard and same exact issue kicks out of 4wd and into 2. Anyone know where to start? I read the 4x4 control modules go on these trucks and that might be the issue? Not sure anymore, between the transfercase and Transfercase motor Im out 370$ Which isn't a big deal considering I now have newer parts but my issue is still not resolved lol. Please help and thanks in advance.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would look at the front axles. All you have to do is lose one on one side and you no longer have 4x4. I would check the cv joints and make sure the axles are all the way home with the retainer and have not slid out a little bit. Make sure the mounts for the front pumpkin are good and not broken.

06DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't there be a noticeable noise along with that? 4WD works sometimes and then just instantly kicks out along with a clunk or could that be the axle skippin on wherever it broke.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Try to think of a way to load up the front only when in 4x4. Do you have a spot where you could put the frontend on pavement and have the rearend in the grass? Then power brake it a little bit and see if you can get it to clunk. If you could repeat the failure, then maybe someone could carefully watch the frontend with a flashlight and see something going on when it did it.

ConfusedAgain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, did you get it sorted out?
Iwent thru the same thing and found some transfere case internals worn and did a small mod to fix the issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals