• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

06 ranger 2wd 4.0 question

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ok, got a question on something, hope its not a problem with my truck.

I have a rattle, lol let me elaborate. I only get this rattle from a stand still, under medium to hard acceleration. It sounds like a heat shield rattle almost. like a piece of sheet metal flapping against something hard.

Im thinking its the torque converter, but i honestly am just taking a guess. it started after i ran 32's on 3.55 gears. im guessing i hurt something. Now have 33's and 4.56's, so the ratio is near to stock.

ive looked under the truck for about an hour, theres nothing loose that culd make this noise. Im not sure if i can get it on video, but ill try. i also feel like ive lost power to the wheels. (why im thinking TC) the truck used to get up and go pretty good, now i feel like im hurting it to get going quickly.

Trans to my knowledge has never been touched since it was new, let me know if you think a tranny flush might help me. it also hase the trans cooler package on the truck. i am at 73,000kms or 45,000 miles.

theres no slipping, and in OD i can give it gas and the rpm stay the same (locked TC), so i know its not a slipping problem.

thanks guys, this is something i really want to get done.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
A rattling noise under acceleration and lack of power are two clues of engine detonation. Also, what rpm is your truck at when this happens? When the timing chain tensioners are starting to go bad they will make an audible rattle around 2-3K. Sometimes its loud enough to hear without wind noise (such as taking off from a stand still) but become faint with wind noise as you get faster.

If you do suspect the torque converter, some symptoms will include brown or muddy colored trans fluid or even foamy fluid, a solid shift from the trans (you can feel it engage) but the motor takes a bit to catch up (torque converter slipping). Usually the only noise a torque converter will produce is a "shudder". I'm not saying this is the ONLY scenario, but usually when the torque converter is starting to go it is most noticable under light acceleration. If slightly accelerating on a smooth road (with the TC unlocked) and it feels like you're driving on a washboard road or sound strips cut into the shoulder of a highway, this is torque converter shudder. Usually under heavy acceleration this symptom is masked, so you usually won't know unless its part throttle.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would like to lean towards a timing issue, though advancing the timing (which would cause detonation) typically INCREASES power, where as retarding it reduces detonation and power... detonation can best be described (every time i've heard it) as marbles in the engine

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
i would like to lean towards a timing issue, though advancing the timing (which would cause detonation) typically INCREASES power, where as retarding it reduces detonation and power... detonation can best be described (every time i've heard it) as marbles in the engine
True, when you increase timing you can create more power (but if you go too far and the engine detos you have passed the perfect timing and start to lose power). But, in order to advance timing you would need to modify the existing ecm's program as it does not randomly change on its own. Detonation can be brought on by several things including insufficient octane, too much timing advance, compression, chamber/valve design, spark plug location, carbon, and abnorm hot spots in cylinder. The 4.0L SOHC is designed to run on 87 octane, has a relatively high compression but aluminum heads help to dissipate heat so 9.7:1 cr is well within acceptable limits, the cylinder head's chamber/valve design is interesting because the actual shape of the chamber is effecient yet the valve quality is horrible. Spark plug sits in a good spot, and the cylinder head does a good job of cooling (each cylinder has 8 ports from the engine deck!). Detonation in the case of the 4.0L is most likey a carbon deposits raising compression and not allowing the head to effectively dissipate the heat causing it to run hot or a pitted exhaust valve being the second source of ignition.

My advice is to run some seafoam in your gas tank and through your vacuum lines and throw in 93 octane. If the problem does not go away, detonation can be crossed off.

Edit: 06RangerXLT I see you have a superchip tuner. Try returning your truck back to stock and report any changes!

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
good point on the superchips. will try it tonight, though i remember running a stock plus options setting to adjust for tire and axle changes.

Ill check the fluid also

its not a marbles sound, and as far as i know its not slippping. no vibration from it shuddering.

Driving around normaly, it makes no noise. i can get the rpm all the way to 5000, but unless its from a stop there is no engine noise. its not ticking or anything like that, and i have 45,000 miles on it so its nowhere near the age it should go. if it is i do have warranty.

Like i said, sounds like a heat shield type of rattle. single smack, very quickly from stop till out about half way through 1st. ill see if i cant get the noise on video.

its not lifters, or a lower eng knock. i can hear it out the drivers window directly below me, and in the cab from the floor. (not firewall)

also fuel doesnt make a difference, though i found my truck hates anything more then 89 octane. i run 87 all the time. not a big fan of seafoam, but ill try it. I dont have any idle or running issues, and get decent fuel ecconomy for turning 33's. it just sounds like im overloading the tranns and its causing some sort of damage. (i should just blow it and get a new one for $100 from warranty LOL)

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be worried if you heard lifters in your 4.0L! haha, maybe its just a loose shield or bolt. Sometimes noises can travel through the drivetrain and make themselves appear to be somewhere else? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would cause a transmission to make an audible noise in 1st gear. Clicking u-joints?

Oh, and the trans fluid looks fine.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
thats a good idea.... ill keep looking to see what i can find. forgot to check the trans fluid when warm... just to make sure the level is OK.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
agreed with the detonation thing, though it takes a MASSIVELY advanced spark to lose power... you'll think the motor is going to blow up from the sound, before you notice a loss of power

I'd be worried if you heard lifters in your 4.0L! haha, maybe its just a loose shield or bolt. Sometimes noises can travel through the drivetrain and make themselves appear to be somewhere else? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would cause a transmission to make an audible noise in 1st gear. Clicking u-joints?

Oh, and the trans fluid looks fine.
actually it's funny you say that, my truck has what sounds IDENTICAL to a sticky lifter...

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
wasnt able to get it last night. gonna try and remember to grab my superchips and set it stock tonight.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i hear nothing

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
there is a loud rattle. iphone makes it hard to capture it, but its there.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary, either. Maybe your just chasing ghosts. These trucks have a frame designed in 1983. Its going to creek and rattle more than a new platform that EVERY truck gets. lol Pull the carpet up and remove the interior panels to install some sound deadening material underneath.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
trust me i know this isnt the frame. it would do it over bumps if that was the case. turn up your volume, and listen to the first 1.5 seconds. you can clearly hear a metal rattle. click on the beginning to replay it if you miss it.

ill see if i can get a better video of it, the exhaust is loud so it likes to cover up anything. its there, the iphone just cant pick it up.

im going to try and pull an audio clip onto my computer and remove the engine drone, to clear it up some.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals