• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 4.0 Loss of power/P0351 code

Wwboater17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2004 4.0 Ranger has a P0351. Its for an Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit. Last night I replaced plugs, wires, and coil pack. Started up fine and idled fine. Let it warm up for about 5min and no issues. Drove it down the road and no issues. Today I did the same thing but got on the interstate and ran fine for about the first mile. Then lost power. Could only go about 60. Acting like it wasn't getting fuel. Got off the interstate and took side roads to run my errands and it seemed fine. Got to camp, scanned it and the same P0351 comes up, but no CEL. Im still lost on this. I was thinking the PCM. But I read some forums and some say newer model PCMs were not notorious for failing but older model PCMs were....? Any ideas of what this is now?

Last edited:

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You don't say & profile doesn't spec engine? If V6~4.0L~SOHC,
the ColdStart@2000rpm ~ ColdIdle@1000rpms ~ WarmIdle@700rpms is about right.
Did you do an OhmCheck on your old & new CoilPack?

Wwboater17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2004 4.0 ranger. No ohm check. Old one is in the trash. I have found a forum yet to say what to set the multimeter at and what to look for. Some say to use a test light...

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Click on my site link below, go to the sub page about Plugs+Wires+CoilPack, there's a detail pic of the coil with ohm values.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
If you didn't clear the code after replacing the coil, it will still show up as a historic code for a while. Don't chase your tail until you're sure. Clear it and see if it comes back.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2004 4.0 ranger. No ohm check. Old one is in the trash. I have found a forum yet to say what to set the multimeter at and what to look for. Some say to use a test light...
Click here for that detailed pic of the CoilPack with OhmCheck values.
TroubleCode P0351 refers to CoilA; believe that means
LoVoltage\Primary ConnectorPins1+2 transformed to HiVoltage\Secondary Plugs\Cylinders 3+4.
Could also be a wiring problem between CoilPack Primary ConnectorPin2 & PCM ConnectorPin78 where CoilA is switched On\Off to Ground.
Might want to pull both CoilPack primary plug & PCM Plug; clean those & check for damaged wiring\pins.
Also possible you've got damage at Wire\Plug3 or Wire\Plug4.
Hope this helps. Click here for my webpage on Plugs\Wires\CoilPack.

Last edited:

Wwboater17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you didn't clear the code after replacing the coil, it will still show up as a historic code for a while. Don't chase your tail until you're sure. Clear it and see if it comes back.
It was cleared and came back when I lost power on the interstate. Didnt touch the truck untill this morning. Went out and scanned it. It didn't have a code. So I started it up and let it warm up and started to idle rough. I shut it off and the code came up again and no CEL. I cleared it, disconnected the battery for about 30min, and took it for a ride to the store. Not going above 35 and it has an intermittent skip. Got back home and scanned it and no code.

Wwboater17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could it be the fuel pump

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals