• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 Supercab - Camper Build?

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Intake manifold off now cleaning around it. Haven’t seen inside too many with 200k miles. What do you think? Valve covers next after I drain the oil.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Is that lettuce from a big Mac?

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I think that the back wall of the cab is structural, so I don't know how much of it you would be able to cut away without compromising the truck. If it were me, I would try to attack any of that surface rust on the frame. While it certainly is not bad, doing it while the bed is off would make it substantially easier.

I am excited to see how you progress.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I think that the back wall of the cab is structural, so I don't know how much of it you would be able to cut away without compromising the truck. If it were me, I would try to attack any of that surface rust on the frame. While it certainly is not bad, doing it while the bed is off would make it substantially easier.
The more I stare at that wall the less I think the cab can handle anything without it (and some added beams). I have a lot of experience in building but it's all wood and I don't want my first metal build to be a roll-cage :LOL:.

Part of why I am taking so much off the truck is so that I can get rid of any rust the eye can see and paint things back to "new". Any recommendations for underbody paint? There are a few areas on the edges of the cab I plan to paint and I am going all out with texturized paint on the interior (and maybe rear of cab). I am hoping to get at least another 100k out of the body, but am really going for a truck that could truck on forever.

Any thoughts on a header back exhaust system? I'm thinking I will replace the headers while I have the engine bay torn apart.

I am also starting to wonder about braided brake and fuel lines. Anyone done this before?

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know how I forgot to mention that this bad-boy needs to fit on there with a 4-wheeler.

The reason for the build is I bought a new Volvo S60 plug-in hybrid (these things are AWESOME... look them up if you don't believe) and have a 5-month old Little Man I want to take out to the mountains a lot. Our 2018 Outback doesn't cut it on the terrain (let alone the Volvo) and the Ranger is too small for the 3 of us (and my 70 lb dog), so we are selling the Outback and I am building the truck out for what it was destined to be: a tiny beast.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I used Rust Bullet undercoating kit on the rear frame and underside of my bed. It has worked almost flawlessly, the only couple of spots where it failed were because of my prepwork being not 100% (I missed a spot or two when sanding).

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
chassis saver is pretty highly regarded as an exceptional frame paint, and the prep is easier than most.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Weather was bad today and I don’t have a garage so I spent most my free time covering things and getting a setup that works for the longer haul in the crazy Colorado weather. Valve covers are off and drivers side is way dirtier than the passenger. PO had some crazy gaps going on in the plugs here that were throwing the timing off and I’m wondering if that’s why.

Will spend the weekend cleaning the engine and trying to get it back together if I can get all the gaskets.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
The major structural areas at the rear of your cab are the B-Posts/Pillars. The ribbing below the window does give it some strength, but they are mostly there to prevent that annoying metal sound you get, example: wobble a piece of sheet metal or sheet steel by hand. Also, the ribs help deaden sound. Just so you know, I used to do body an frame repair for a living. There are plenty of opinions floating around concerning structure and strength, you will have to decide whether or not you'd be comfortable driving the truck with your family in it. I myself wouldn't have a problem cutting it out if I were in need. I would make sure to reinforce the edge though. A camper boot could be installed to connect the cab to the bed/box, whatever you call it. It would give you a nice size entryway for a camper body. It's just a thought, something to ponder. Best of luck with your project.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
If I do a pass-through, I'm picturing a boot like you'd see on the split-buses so it can flex with the cab, and behind that would be the camper just big enough for a bed. Then behind that would be a flat-bed.

I'm thinking of using one of these UTV jump seats as the rear seat. Either that or I'll put a third bucket in between two front buckets but offset to the back for leg room (obviously safer). Going to check out the former in store soon to get a sense of how quality the build is.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
You should try to find a couple seats out of those old Subaru pick up truck looking things (I used to know what they were called). They were set up with seat belts and grab handles.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
The BRATS come up for sale every once in a while here on the front range that are often for parts and I never thought of that one. Thank you!

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Thanks for naming it. My mind is temporarily restored !

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the real rust problem. Way worse than I was expecting and this is just with a boot and bare hands. I know this is sort of common on these... is this a place I can grind off and weld a tube to? Picture a 2 inch round tube starting around where the hole is on the right and going to the back of the cab on the left. Better for mounting steps anyways. It doesn't look like it goes past the hanging part under the door step.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals