• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 Supercab - Camper Build?

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 4.0 Ranger with about 210k miles that’s been lifted and off-roaded for the last 50k miles or so. Looking to do a camper build that is reliable enough for the occasional long haul and I like to take things a step at a time so took the bed off today and started to clear the engine bay to look at the top end. Not as bad as I was expecting after a breaker bar and two broken/rusted bolts, slid right out with the help of some 2x4s. I’ll be gutting the interior soon as well.

I have a lot a of ideas for what to do but looking to hear yours. My challenge in short is to have a reliable camper truck for Colorado area mountains that can haul things in whatever is left of some type of bed and sleep 2 adults, a baby, and a dog. I have a bed and camper shell for sale now, too.

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Grind the rivet heads.... remove the brackets... grid remaining rivet flush to the frame.... air chisel with a punch bit to punch rivets through frame.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Do you replace with stock parts or worth upgrading? Maybe not worth it where you are either way.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I got 13 years out of the factory brackets and shackles...

I replaced them with Doorman hangers and shackles.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
There are several Ranger and other small truck camper builds on YouTube. I like this one, it's the new Ranger and a regular cab longbed that we don't get in this country any more but it's a good setup.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I have the fiberglass camper shell in the picture in pieces and I’m not sure if I’m going to use it. I’m considering a pass through from the cab to the rear (any idea if this wall is structural?) and would ideally still have some kind of a flat bed in the back big enough for a 4-wheeler. I have a winch I’m planning to put somewhere and can use this to help load.

Thinking I might go full prepper and add fresh water tank and a bigger gas tank. Already have solar, inverter, and some deep cycle batteries (including my truck battery). Will strip most weight and things that aren’t needed.

Running a list for parts and have the 722-100 brackets and hangers for $40 a side.

Gutted the interior today except the dash. Any tips on this one? Never done anything with an airbag and seems like that could go wrong quickly.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
There are several Ranger and other small truck camper builds on YouTube. I like this one, it's the new Ranger and a regular cab longbed that we don't get in this country any more but it's a good setup.
My first vehicle was a (white) 94 regular cab long bed that I was just reminiscing about. 2wd 4-banger and very intentional decision on my dad's part. I wish I kept it for a 5.0 drag swap.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
You don't use a deep cycle as the battery for your starter do you? I'm no expert on battery chemistry but ive read quite a bit saying that thats a no-no.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
You don't use a deep cycle as the battery for your starter do you? I'm no expert on battery chemistry but ive read quite a bit saying that thats a no-no.
Optima Yellowtop. Not something I generally run my solar on but apparently it could handle it. It's made to run until dead for camping or cars that sit a lot without a trickle. I have 2 other deep cycle lead acid batteries that would be the primary for the solar.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Dash all the way out and interior pressure washed. Moving back to the engine bay.

Planning for bigger alternator and tranny rebuild. I redid all the cooling, front diff, and fluids last summer. Dropping tranny soon for a rebuild. Anything else I should plan for to make sure it keeps on trucking? Gearing, driveshaft, etc? I’m sure I’m wrong (I hope I’m wrong) but I feel like I could easily bend this drive shaft in half.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Bay close to the point I can get the intake manifold off followed by the valve covers. Distributor thing is off and I also replaced this last year and the wires. Planning to do typical sensors finally once everything is out. Whole front end was already recently rebuilt too including the diff which is the one I did last year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals