• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03' RAP / AntiTheft Inquiry

03RangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I saw another thread regarding the RAP module in the 03' rangers with keyless entry, and my main problem is figuring out which wire controls the horn to beep after pressing the lock twice. I found my RAP module behind the passenger airbag, but now I just need to find a wiring diagram for this model so I can splice the Horn Relay wire. Any information is greatly appreciated :)

2003 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L V6

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

For 2003 I have the Central Security Module(CSM) behind passenger side air bag
Yellow/light green stripe wire on that module should activate the horn when grounded
Test that
Just unplug the connector and ground that one wire, horn should sound, it has full time power

If you are using a volt meter this wire will show 12v because the 12v from cab fuse 35 is passing thru the horn relay, so when wire is grounded the relay now has 12v AND a ground, so relay closes and horn activates

03RangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any way I can tap into that wire to add my own custom horn to sound? I had tapped that wire and the horn still sounded when locking the truck

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not quite understanding?

You can just change the horns behind grill to whatever type you want
OR
Do you want a different sound only when you lock the door?

If you want a different sound then you would add a relay with full time 12v that is grounded by that yellow/light green wire
Wire would be cut so regular horn doesn't sound, won't effect horn buttons on steering wheel

So CSM's yellow/green wire would ground your added relay using fob
Relay would power your added "noise maker"

You may be able to power the noise maker without the relay, just by grounding it, but the noise maker needs to draw under 2 amps at most, the CSMs internal relay is not rated for higher amps, the Horn relay is at most 3/4 amp

03RangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Not quite understanding?

You can just change the horns behind grill to whatever type you want
OR
Do you want a different sound only when you lock the door?

If you want a different sound then you would add a relay with full time 12v that is grounded by that yellow/light green wire
Wire would be cut so regular horn doesn't sound, won't effect horn buttons on steering wheel

So CSM's yellow/green wire would ground your added relay using fob
Relay would power your added "noise maker"

You may be able to power the noise maker without the relay, just by grounding it, but the noise maker needs to draw under 2 amps at most, the CSMs internal relay is not rated for higher amps, the Horn relay is at most 3/4 amp
Yes, I only want my custom horn to sound when locking the doors x2 on the keypad. I was able to access the CSM, and located that yellow/green wire. After splicing it, and disconnecting it, I decided to test and plug my main wire harness back in and test. The main horn still sounded after clicking the keypad x2. Are you sure the yellow/green wire is to control the horn relay? Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it grounds the horn relay same as pressing horn button, test it by grounding it, the harness wire, not the connector wire
Or since its cut now see if FOB still activates horn, it shouldn't

Ranger keyless entry used RAP module 1995/6-2000, 2001-2003 use CSM, I think SJB did it in 2004 and up

1999 RAP module used the same yellow/light green wire to activate horn relay
I don't have a 2003 CSM diagram

But do have a 2003 cruise control diagram that shows it

Attachments

03RangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it grounds the horn relay same as pressing horn button, test it by grounding it, the harness wire, not the connector wire
Or since its cut now see if FOB still activates horn, it shouldn't

Ranger keyless entry used RAP module 1995/6-2000, 2001-2003 use CSM, I think SJB did it in 2004 and up

1999 RAP module used the same yellow/light green wire to activate horn relay
I don't have a 2003 CSM diagram

But do have a 2003 cruise control diagram that shows it
Thats what I'm saying. The yellow/green wire I had cut. After reconnecting battery, with both doors shut, and pressing FOB x2, horn still sounded with that wire cut.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then I am out of wiring diagrams that will help

03RangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Then I am out of wiring diagrams that will help
I was able to mess around with the CSM today. I found that splicing the DRK BLUE wire would cut the horn completely, from my steering wheel and from the key fob being pressed twice. But when I cut the yellow/grn wire, it still sounded the horn on key fob x2, but with both doors shut it honked twice instead of 1 time. That must be a door sensor. Are we sure it's the yellow/green wire?

Attachments

03RangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Further review: I have yet to find which wire it is that controls the horn just through the keyless entry. So far every wire I have tried cut the horn from my steering wheel, which isn't what I want.
I just want my custom "soft-chirp siren" to sound when I lock the vehicle from the outside, and makes it chirp. I was able to attach my siren to the DRK blue wire, which would allow it to chirp when locked, but steering wheel horn wouldn't work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals