• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 No heat?

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
alright. so i bought an 03 and the het worked great when i got it. maybe a week ago the heat stopped. if you turn the selector from cold to hot you feel a marginal temp change. but not really. checked the hoses to and from the heater core and they are both hot. pulled the BDA and it rotates

i can only assume that the actuator is working properly because ive never had to deal with one. so where do i go from here?

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
also. i checked that actuator on the coolant hose that goes up to the heater box thats down below the alternator. when i switch it to a/c it moves all the way up but when you switch it back the arm only gets about 2/3 of the way inline with the hose. is that the full swing or is it supposed to be inline? so far everything i've checked appears to be working. im getting really frustrated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not familiar with the '03 4.0l heater setup.

Some Fords have a by-pass valve instead of the heat control valve on the heater hose.
This allows coolant to flow out of the water pump and into the intake when heat is set at cold.

So check the hoses at the firewall for heat, the by-pass valve can get stuck.

If both hoses are hot at the firewall then problem has to be in the blend door or ducting.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the only valve is down low on one of the heater hoses. i checked that one and it does move when you switch between ac and heat. both hoses are hot and the blend door rotates. that's why im so confused now

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Valve on heater hose should move when you change Temp(Climate control) from Cold(valve closed) to Hot(valve open)

Only when valve is open should both heater hoses be hot.

I would set temp control to cold and start the cold engine, then wait and feel the hoses, only one should heat up and heat up slowly since there is no circulation.

Once engine temp is up to about 1/4 on the gauge, set temp control to Hot(open the valve) then check how long the other hose takes to heat up, should be almost instantly.
And both hoses should now be the same temp as the Upper radiator hose, so very hot.

If heat up of hose is slow then core is clogged, and that's why temp is low inside.
You can try to backflush the core, it does work but takes some time.
Google: backflush heater core

All heater cores are pretty much the same when backflushing so doesn't have to be a "how-to" for a Ford heater core.

Last edited:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i dont think thats how that valve works. one of my buddys also has an 03 and we checked his to see if it moved when you adjusted the heat and it didnt move. only when you switch between ac and heat. same as mine

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i did just try checking the hoses from a cold start though. last time i checked i had just been driving for a while. this time i clearly noticed one hose was colder than the other. looks like im gonna be backflushing the heater core tomorrow. at this point that seems like the only thing left that it can be

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just tried the backflush. water seemed to flow through fine and nothing gross came out. tried it anyway and still no heat. still have one cold hose

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cold hose means no flow, so valve is the next stop

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals