• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 4x4 ranger front shock questions

4LOW_Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75/16
Hi everyone, so I’ve had my ranger for almost four years. I’ve done a decent chunk of work and add ons. I recently upgraded my rear spring packs to the 43-871HD’s and now am installing my bilstein 5100 series shocks (though they’re meant for a RWD 4in lifted, I did the research and found the compression and decompression were very similar with factory specs). Anyways to my question/Curiosity I know I have a 4x4 not a RWD that being said I have looked at replacing my front shocks and supposedly I can get a rough country full tube non-chicken stick shocks for my front end. My theoretical question is would the tube be close enough to my CV to allow it not to rub; because I found a bilstein 5100 series shock meant for a f150 and the specs fall in line with the compression and decommission of what I need and they also happen to be a few millimeters narrower in circumference of the rough county tube. Any ideas and knowledge would be great also would save me from spending almost three hundred in parts. Thanks

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I always figured it would be to close for comfort... so I never tried a full bodied shock on a Ranger IFS. Sure would be nice if they made a 5100 for them.

You could always be the first to try it...

4LOW_Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75/16
Alright, I’m not the only one that feels that way haha. Definitely do wish that they would’ve made one in that series. Well I’m gonna attempt it and buy the shocks.

4LOW_Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75/16
I’ve done some digging around on bilstein 5100 series, found a jeep Cherokee front end set called 5160 with a extended/piggyback shock. Thing is can the extra tube fit without clearance issues. A co-worker of mine has a two door Cherokee lifted and many extras, anyways I measured the bolt spread on my ranger and his Cherokee and they’re both 2 1/2 inches apart. Both with studs at top only other issue is the shocks seem to be sold separate at $199 each.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals