• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'03 351w Ranger manual steering rack

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a new ranger I'm starting on but this ones getting a 351w. I'm doing a lot of stuff already and have the wires hidden in the dash, extended the control arms out 4.5", and tubing fender wells. Battery's going behind the seat. And a few more things will be done but I wanted to ask opinions on the steering. I know the explorer power steering is a solid choice but I want to ditch it all together. I have an idea to fit a manual foxbody rack to the ranger. If I do so it will give me tons of oil pan clearance for the 351 as it will sit in front of the crossmember instead of on top. It's will also be easily removed or changed if it goes out and I won't have to worry about power steering anymore. I had a manual rack before and it's not a huge difference imo. Also it may give me better steering rod to header clearance, don't know about that yet since the engines not in the truck. My only concern is with the rack sitting in front of the crossmember the tie rods are angled more back than straight out. Does anyone think this would cause problems with steering or cause it to go bad quicker than usual?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You might run into a bunch of unwanted bumpsteer if you go messing with the steering geometry. I'd keep that in mind

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was one thing I had in mind. Now I'm kinda thinking this isn't gonna work.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals