• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'03 3.0 in an '05

RangerMax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've got an opportunity to buy a 3.0 out of a 2003 Edge for my 2005 Edge (blown engine), but I need to jump on it quickly. Any differences in the engine or tranny (auto) that I should take into consideration, or are they the same (direct swap)?

Is the mileage stored in the instrument cluster, or is it stored in the computer?

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If both Rangers have 3.0l engines then yes it will swap over no issues, may want to swap upper intake over if wiring is different, but I don't think it would be

2005 has odometer in both computer and its instrument cluster, if they don't match engine won't start
This was done in 2004 and up Rangers to prevent odometer changes, the cluster was changed to be part of the PATS anti-theft system as well, so it also can not be changed

Google: Ford HEC

HEC = hybrid electronic cluster

Not even Ford Dealers can reset odometers in any model Ford with these new HECs
If a cluster fails they have to get odometer reading from computer, then send that to Ford, Ford programs the new cluster and sends it to the dealer, dealer then has to "marry" the new cluster to the computer for the PATS part

RangerMax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I saw some info online today regarding the upper intake like you mentioned. That's a pretty easy task.

I don't think I'll mess with the cluster or computer. It's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals