• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 2.3l

Broncin2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, so im thinking of getting a 2.3l ranger. now a coworker of mine has told me that the 2.3l has a history of heads crackin. has anybody else heard this?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Never heard of it. Not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I've personally never heard of it being a common problem. I drive a Ranger at work with the 2.3 and it has over 214,000 miles and it's still going strong. It's a peppy motor with good power. I like them a lot and I would buy one without worries.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
He's probably thinking of the old HSC 2.3's found in old late 80's tempos and topazs. I don't know much about those engines but they might have a head cracking problem. They are Completely un-related to any 2.3 found in a Ranger. 83-2001.5 Rangers use a lima 4 cylinder in 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5 liter displacement and the 2001.5 to current use a duratech 2.3L 4 cylinder. Neither of these engine families have a history of cracked heads. Not saying it didn't happen to somebody, but it sure isn't common by any means. Seeing Rangers with 4-bangers with 300,000+ miles on them and still running good is common.

You co-worker might also be thinking of the old 2.9L V-6s Ford was using in the Ranger up to 91. Those have a bit of a history with cracked heads.

Last edited:

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
my 03 runs like a charm and i think its gettin better as it gets older

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals