• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 Ranger 2.3L-Bad PCM, or should I look at something else?

RangerWidow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been struggling with my husbands 02 Ranger 2.3L for a few years now. It started with a significant loss of power while driving, occasionally stalling out and not starting again for at least 10 minutes, and sometimes being a difficult start. It randomly gives a P0400 code (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction). Often, after the code shows up I have to change the ignition coil because it ends up being bad. If the code gets cleared, and the coil hasn't gone bad, the truck will run fine again for a few weeks, and then the trouble starts up again. I've never actually gotten a misfire code after it starts misfiring, it's always the EGR code.

I've replaced a multitude of different valves, hoses, and sensors (so many that I don't even remember all of them), put on new injectors, and run Sea Foam through everything it's safe to run through. The EGR valve has not been replaced because the mechanic that I've asked to do it insists there is not actually a problem with the EGR valve. He wants to replace the DPFE, and refuses to believe me when I tell him it does not have a DPFE. I tried to replace the EGR valve myself, but the location makes it too difficult for me to do on my own. Another mechanic also said it's not the EGR valve, but the intake manifold, which he would fix for $1400. Yet another mechanic said the manifold was fine but had no other idea what the problem could be.

With the coil usually going bad around the same time as the EGR code shows up, how likely is it that I have a bad PCM?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals