• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 FX4 twin stick version.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Around here, a "Twin Stick" Is a single transfer case, 1 stick to engage hi/low, 1 stick to engage 2wd/4wd.

Then you add a doubler to the transfer case and have a triple stick.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Well I went with auto even though I drove manual 50 yrs I was told auto can be nicer for off road and I agree
also if you get stuck on the freeway and end up with sore knee
but I'm not against them at all every car I had with rare exception was manual and I always swore by them
probably better from reliability... except for 5th gear I guess but you don't need that for off road (;

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Around here, a "Twin Stick" Is a single transfer case, 1 stick to engage hi/low, 1 stick to engage 2wd/4wd.

Not really a hard answer.

A single stick for the tcase and one for the doubler would be a twin stick too.

Mine has one stick for the rear and one stick for the front and then a 5 speed shifter to boot.

Those chrome levers are pretty rare. The knobs are even more rare.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

On the most common twin stick transfer cases like the Dana 20, Dana 300, Atlas, and NP205 the setup is Rear axle Hi-N-Lo Front Axle Hi-N-Lo, What you have described is like a twin sticked NP203 with a part time conversion.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw

Ranger Slang I guess...

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Well I went with auto even though I drove manual 50 yrs I was told auto can be nicer for off road and I agree
also if you get stuck on the freeway and end up with sore knee
but I'm not against them at all every car I had with rare exception was manual and I always swore by them
probably better from reliability... except for 5th gear I guess but you don't need that for off road (;
You can send it a wee bit more with a manual....

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Not really a hard answer.

A single stick for the tcase and one for the doubler would be a twin stick too.

Mine has one stick for the rear and one stick for the front and then a 5 speed shifter to boot.

Those chrome levers are pretty rare. The knobs are even more rare.
On the most common twin stick transfer cases like the Dana 20, Dana 300, Atlas, and NP205 the setup is Rear axle Hi-N-Lo Front Axle Hi-N-Lo, What you have described is like a twin sticked NP203 with a part time conversion.
I like the fact that there is ZERO electronic engagement tomfoolery.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like the fact that there is ZERO electronic engagement tomfoolery.
I agree I won't have an electric shift transfer case, the one I have now came with one but I got a good deal on it and I am swapping a manual shift transfer case in.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
There is one thing you should learn about a manual transfer case. Don't try to force it into 4WD. Sometimes the gears don't line up when shifting into 4WD. It is best to put low pressure on the lever and keep moving until it drops into 4WD (just make sure the rear wheels are rotating the same speed as the front wheels). The shift fork inside the transfer case is plastic (at least mine is) and too much force can break it.

Low range is usually not a problem but it is best to be stopped when doing it. Moving slightly is okay if you know what you are doing.

Shifting out of 4WD is not any problem. If the transfer case is in a bind, you can shift out with the lever, but there is a spring mechanism inside that compresses to let it stay in 4WD. As you continue driving the bind is relaxed and the spring mechanism will eventually shift it out of 4WD.

An electric shift transfer case lets you shift without having to think about it, but can be problematic too.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
There is one thing you should learn about a manual transfer case. Don't try to force it into 4WD. Sometimes the gears don't line up when shifting into 4WD. It is best to put low pressure on the lever and keep moving until it drops into 4WD (just make sure the rear wheels are rotating the same speed as the front wheels). The shift fork inside the transfer case is plastic (at least mine is) and too much force can break it.

Low range is usually not a problem but it is best to be stopped when doing it. Moving slightly is okay if you know what you are doing.

Shifting out of 4WD is not any problem. If the transfer case is in a bind, you can shift out with the lever, but there is a spring mechanism inside that compresses to let it stay in 4WD. As you continue driving the bind is relaxed and the spring mechanism will eventually shift it out of 4WD.
I always stop completly whether its a push button or manual shift. I noticed recently on the 02, after shifting out of 4 low into 2 hi the 4 low light stayed on which wasn't a big deal since I knew it wasn't in low but the speedo acts bat s*@t crazy. Buried the speedo doing 80kph. Had to stop and gently cycle through everything til the light went out. Good times.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It sounds like your low range sensor is getting stuck. I don't know where it is but I do know it changes the speedometer. I think that is its only function other than lighting up the low 4WD light. I am pretty sure the anti brake strategy changes when in 4WD but I doubt that changes when in low range.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
It sounds like your low range sensor is getting stuck. I don't know where it is but I do know it changes the speedometer. I think that is its only function other than lighting up the low 4WD light. I am pretty sure the anti brake strategy changes when in 4WD but I doubt that changes when in low range.
It does it in both now, but gently cycling it turns them out for now, not that I use it that often. I found a tech drawing on here showing the sensor. Number 69....lol. It's on the front top of the case passenger side of front shaft. This isa gooder web site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals