• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'02 FX4 torsion keys and lift blocks

RiggerWings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I tried to search for what I'm looking for and couldn't find anything, but if there's already something similar out there then I apologize.

Here's my problem/question...

I have a 2002 Ranger FX4 that I just purchased some new wheels and tires for. (33x12.50 BFG ATs) I ran these on my old '02 FX4 with no problem, but I maxed out the torsion keys and had to trim the front bumper a little. Maxing the keys made the truck ride extremely hard to the point where I thought I'd chip a tooth on a speed bump!
So I have been looking at new keys that claim to not mess with the ride...they say I can get an extra 2" blah blah blah, there's also a rear lift that says it comes with 2" blocks.

Well, I already have 2" blocks stock...so this will do nothing for me correct? Will the torsion keys be the same as well, to where they do exactly what the stock keys do?

I can find plenty of "cheap" 2-3" lifts but they all sound like my stock suspension set up. What are my options for my FX4? I don't need to go huge nor do I want to, I just want a slight bit more to add to the good looks of the larger tires. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A new (reindexed) key raises the suspension just the same as cranking the bolts up would (by preloading your t-bar further). Unless your bolts are maxed out and you still have more room for lift (rare), new keys would do nothing for you.

The problem comes from a reduction in downtravel of the suspension. When you drive over a bump, the suspension compresses, but then on rebound, it "tops" out with a thump, basically jerking the truck back down.
Adding shock extensions can help a little bit with this, though this also brings some risk of overextending your front axle CV joints.

I say save your $$$ and just crank your t-bars a small amount. If you need more tire clearance than what's available by cranking (without destroying the ride), a short body lift (1-2") may be a better option. A full suspension lift (3-4") is also a good option, though is much more $$$.

RiggerWings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Junkie, I've looked into a lot of that. I cant seem to find the lifts for the FX4 anymore. RCD and Superlift used to make them but you can't buy them anymore. Like you said, they're a bit pricey anyway. I may look into a decent body lift.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Superlift is still making kits for it. MSRP is about 1400.

Problem with 33x12.5 is the width. A 33x10.5 will fit fine with a crank, but those extra 2 inches cause an issue. Cheap fix is to install a small body lift as Junkie mentioned. If I could afford it and wanted to run 33 I'd get the lift and decrank the bars to a nice ride height. That is if the suspension didn't end up too soft.

RiggerWings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's an option! Thanks Josh...looks like I need to recover from the wheel/tire/tuner purchase, then move on to the lift!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals