• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 clutch engagement question

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So I got in my truck this morning and went to back out of my parking spot and my clutch wasnt engaging where is usually does. Since I got the truck approximately 30k miles ago the clutch has always engaged right about mid stroke. But this morning its not beginning to grab until right at the very top of the stroke. It did this once a couple weeks back too but I thought I was just imagining it or something. All fruids are within min/max range except coolant is a little low.

Any ideas on whats causing my clutch to change engagement point would be appreciated.

Thanks

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The old style clutch would be the cable needs adjustment & the hydraulic system could mean be a bad clutch master cylinder. Hope this helps-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
could be a bad clutch master cylinder.
The symptom that he listed proves that the hydraulic system is working perfectly. Bad clutch hydraulics would make it engage/disengage at the very bottom of the travel, he said it grabs at the top.

Your truck is probably about ready for a clutch. Average life expectancy is 10 years/100,000 miles.

A worn clutch disc is also far more consistent with your symptom.

Last edited:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bad clutch hydraulics would make it engage/disengage at the very bottom of the travel, he said it grabs at the top.
Oh really ??
I changed the clutch master cylinder because when I wanted to change gears, depressing the clutch pedal felt like I was stepping on a soccer ball instead & was able to change gears "at the top"-

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
About 10 months ago I had a new clutch, clutch disk, and slave cylinder put in it. Maybe I just got a 'not so high quality' one?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals