• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 4.0 soho random surges

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My 02 4.0 was broke down for awhile, finally got it back up and running, but sometimes I get these random surges. It’s worse while idol but happens while driving too, when it’s i doling the whole truck shakes and the engines acts like it wants to stall, when you’re driving you can feel it die down, then rev back up and Learch forward, then die down again. I’ll fo that for a few solid seconds then stop. I’ve been told it sounds like water in the fuel, would I be correct to guess that? I’ve tried heat but that doesn’t seem to make a difference

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How long is awhile?

Gasoline lasts 4 to 6 months in a vehicle's gas tank unless its filled to the top so no contact with air

Check/replace PCV Valve, and give its hose a close inspection, it likes to crack on the bottom of the elbows

Clean MAF sensor, every year on the 4.0l's
Clean IAC Valve
Both are easy to do

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some people swear by, some swear at SeaFoam; have never used it myself;
I just do a Premium Fillup plus bottle of InjectorCleaner once\twice a year.
FuelFilter & Plugs+Wires & OxSensors & TimingTensioners all need changing at least every 100kMiles?
Does sound like a VacuumLeak somewhere. Any OBD2 TroubleCodes?

Last edited:

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Some people swear by, some swear at SeaFoam; have never used it myself;
I just do a Premium Fillup plus bottle of InjectorCleaner once\twice a year.
FuelFilter & Plugs+Wires & OxSensors & TimingTensioners all need changing at least every 100kMiles?
Does sound like a VacuumLeak somewhere. Any OBD2 TroubleCodes?
How long is awhile?

Gasoline lasts 4 to 6 months in a vehicle's gas tank unless its filled to the top so no contact with air

Check/replace PCV Valve, and give its hose a close inspection, it likes to crack on the bottom of the elbows

Clean MAF sensor, every year on the 4.0l's
Clean IAC Valve
Both are easy to do
i get a “bank 2 rich” and a “bank 2 lean” code (it switches, sometimes it’ll say one, other times another, I think the o2 sensor is messed up, I’m changing that when I get the chance, I do think I have a vacuum leak, as my AC doesn’t change off of defrost, I’ve checked the vacuum res (the little black ball thing that always breaks) and the vacuum line going into that seems to be the only one getting good suction, but I’ve taken that off and put my finger over the line to see if it helps the suction on other lines and it stays about the same, so I think the lines somehow split? I don’t know , the ball looks fine and doesn’t seem to have any leaks, any way to test that? I have yet to find any other hoses or spots that seem to have issues

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals