• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 4.0 miss.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2002 ranger 4.0 stock as far as I know. I just got the truck and been using it around the yard, it slowly developed a misfire. Was only when idling though. She was running pretty low in gas so I figured that's what it was. But it got worse and worse every time I used her. A couple days ago I brought home a 5 gallon can of gas and poured in her and ran her for a bit and still didn't fix it. It's getting worse and worse every time I use it. No codes or cel.
All my engine knowledge is with my 6.0 powerstroke. This 4 litre is a new thing to me so I'm just wondering if there are any common simple things to check for before dumping piles of money in to this. I'm planning on selling it as soon as I get it running so I don't want to get too involved with it.

Plugged in my dashboss from my powerstroke to check for soft codes and check common pic's but of course that's when the starter went out. So I have a new starter picked up, just haven't got around to the install yet.

I've read a few posts about the egr failing and causing a miss. Is there a way to check it, like simply unplug it and listen for a difference?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EGR valve won't be open at idle, if it was EGR valve leaking exhaust into intake it could cause a miss at idle, only way to check that would be to remove EGR valve.
This would usually cause an EGR code.

More common issues are vacuum leaks, PCV valve hoses, especially the elbows, the bottoms rub through and leak.
4.0l eats non-motorcraft spark plugs, so very common for any other brand to cause misfires after a few thousand miles.
You also need to use double platinum no matter what brand you use, Fords waste spark system requires that if you want the plugs to last.

Clean the MAF sensor, this should be done every few years.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tips. Will do that. How hard is it to get the passenger side plugs out? I had a quick glance a few days back and I could hardly see them. Drivers side looks like cake.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Passenger side is easiest if you go thru the wheel well, remove plastic inner fender.
Remove wheel if you want.

I have had a few cars with V8s that I needed to drill out or cut access holes in metal inner fenders, then patch them.
Just to change spark plugs.

Found this, it has pictures: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111769

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals