• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 2.3L bucking studding, and backfiring

T1m3_Sh1ft3r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello, well i have been dealing with this issue for a little while and have done some things to see if that fixed it. i did a search and somebody mentioned that it could be the alternator which i have a little bit of a hard time believing but it obviously worked for somebody else. But i wanted to see what others think

the issue im having is that the truck is shuddering or buck usually when there is a bit of a load on it (IE 5th gear on a slight incline), when im at about 60% throttle or more, or when its between idle to about 2500 RPM. if im going up hill or at a stop going up hill or heck even at a stop and i have to give it some gas it will back fire some times like crazy. about a month ago I was driving home and it was running so bad that it kicked a check engine light with code P0303(which was caused by crappy spark plugs)

What i have done is ive replaced the plugs (not even about 300 miles ago) and got what came from the factory ones, and ive replaced the coil. i had a very toned down version of this issue a little while ago and somebody suggested that it might be the EGR valve and to unplug the vacum like to see if it was that so i tried it again and only helped a little with the shuddering but not bucking or backfiring. I read that somebody thought it might be the injector that’s just not spraying but dripping fuel into one of the cylinders. Im just not sure what else I should do I dont have a whole lot of money so im trying to avoid throwing a whole lot of money into it is there a way to check the injector or something along those lines im assuming (which I know what that means) that my issues are in cylinder 3

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most auto parts stores will test your alternator for free, while it is still installed. I'd start there, just to rule it out. While you are there, pick up a fuel filter and replace that.

T1m3_Sh1ft3r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i did replace the fuel filter this afternoon, and had the alternator tested( i didnt realize that they could do it while it was in the car ) i also re checked the gaps on the plugs they were in between the .041 to .045. still no luck, but i did an ohms check to see if maybe the wires were bad on the 20k scale this is what i got

plug for cylinder 1 was at 4.8
plug for cylinder 2 was at 4.16
plug for cylinder 3 was at 3.52
plug for cylinder 4 was at 4.97

i know plug 2 & 3 is shorter but not by much maybe an inch or two at most but would that little bit make that bit of difference? especially 3?

54inches

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After doing some searching, I think my 05 is just the iac, but wanted to see if you ever got a resolution.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals