• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 ranger 2.5L can you turbo it or beef it up??

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 ford ranger 2.5L 2wd and I was wondering if there was any way to turbo it or beef it up and give it more horsepower???? Please help

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is there anyone who knows what I could do with my ranger to give it some power??

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been told a '97 2.3L with SVO 2.3T internals(Forged crank and rods) and 98-01 2.5L head is a much better starting spot than just a 2.5L for a turbo build.

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Putting an intake on my truck wouldn't help it to much would it?? If anything, wouldn't it bog down hen i am driving around, because it would be sucking to much air? That is what i think. Let me know your opinion?????

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if you have winter months like cold and snow the stick with stock intake or make adaptor to swap to stock in thoughs months but no she shouldnt bog with an intake.

winter + aftermarket intake = gas guzzel

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wow... Intake does nothing... Exhaust is really only good for different sound... Honestly, you should leave it completely stock, if you feel the need for more power regear to a shorter ratio... If you really want more power you need to open the engine up and port and polish heads with a more aggressive grind cam and valvetrain upgrade... You can do a turbo upgrade, but if you are going to do that I'd still open the engine up and P&P the heads with forged pistons (the rods on the 2.3T and 2.3N/A are the same), maybe a turbo friendly cam... Basically, what I'm saying is more HP and cheap don't go hand in hand, if you want power you gotta pony up the bucks, otherwise it's a waste...

BTW - Just adding an intake WILL NOT make your engine intake too much air... You're engine SUCKS air in, therefore it will always suck the same amount UNLESS you do internal mods that allow it to suck in more air (that's the principle behind making power) MORE AIR=MORE FUEL=MORE POWER

Last edited:

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
then why when I put a spectre cone filter on my truck all it did was surge the whole time, i couldn't go anywhere, when I unplug the MAFS it ran fine but when i plugged it back in it did the same thing???

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't look at the link, but that chip will NEVER give you 50hp/50tq. EVER. PERIOD. There is not that much "missing" power in the factory tune. With some clever tuning on a dyno, and running on the ragged edge, a professional might net another 15hp/15tq. MAYBE.

With your cone filter issue, something was not set up right. Just changing a filter will not make it run better with the MAF unplugged.

There is no "easy" way to more power. If you wanna play, you gotta pay. And you also need to understand exactly how an engine works, or you'll end up screwing things up with your "modifications". Go to the Tech Library and do some reading, it will serve you well. Then you will be able to ask some informed questions and get useful answers.

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the input, do you know of any way to turbo a 2.5L because i haven't seen anything on it yet??

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the input, do you know of any way to turbo a 2.5L because i haven't seen anything on it yet??
A turbo entails opening up the engine and throwing in some forged pistons UNLESS you want to keep boost under 5-7psi (but where's the fun in that?)

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i dont see where it couldnt be done, however the real question is are u willing to tear the engine down and buy pistons, then turn around buy and exhaust manifold and turbo setup or do a down low setup w/ the factory header and run tubing back up and have your exhaust welded not to mention mount an intercooler etc. its a lot of work and money it can be done just be willing to shell out the $$$. personally id look into a regear cuz its cheaper and im sure just a 3.73 swap from the factory 3.45 ratio will help a lot of what ails you. granted youll cruise at a highter rpm but you will pull better off the bottom. im going to do the swap in my 92 ranger 2.3 m50d cuz there are these hills that kick my trks ass especially when i rock the clutch to take off...

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I dont have the space or the money to do something like that right now, so i guess it will just have to wait. but thanks everyone for the great input!!!

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
if you are really interested in a turbo swap, yea you will need some$$$ but turborangerforums.com has a lot of info on that swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals