• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 or 05 351C

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will be getting an 05 or 01 ranger 3.0 auto 2wd for free soon. I have a 351C that I want to go into it and make it a nasty street truck. I have both an AOD and C-4, will probably use the AOD. I have austrailian 2bbl heads, the engine is not built yet. I know I will have to buyu a set of headers and chop em up and make them fit, but any other tips or tricks any one knows? :beer:

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, looks like the 01 will be the project truck. Anyone got some names for a ladder bar rear suspension, tubbed , 351C ranger, and anyone got any poninters on doing the swap, will be starting to strip the ranger soon

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone got any poninters on doing the swap, will be starting to strip the ranger soon
Yep, Swap out that 351c for a 351w and save yourself alot of headaches and money. 351w's have way more support in the aftermarket to make this swap easier for you. Good luck.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not when i have two cleveland blocks, cranks, one cam, have 4bbl heads, but probably going trick flow heads.... I have waaay too much free things to switch

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
not when i have two cleveland blocks, cranks, one cam, have 4bbl heads, but probably going trick flow heads.... I have waaay too much free things to switch
Free is great !!! So sale sale sale and step up to a Windsor and enjoy to good life. Sale that old dinosaur stuff to some one with an old mustang or such to pay for the Windsor things and it would be like getting a bunch of new Windsor things of your choise for free. :yahoo:

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, you could go the easiest way. I have had several clevelands in my life, love 'em. This is going to be a nasty street truck, fuel mileage, nor emissions are an issue. I am going to try and move the engine/ trans back an inch or so to take some pounds off the nose.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
A nasty street machine is like the 840+ HP stroker Windsor sitting in the Mustang in my drive way :yahoo:. Clevelands were ok back in the 70ties and the lack of technolgy back then but in todays world its Windsors and fuel injection for the win :icon_hornsup:. I guess you could give a 302 Ranger a good run. :icon_rofl:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
please register as a kit car or something cause the cleveland will be more difficult to hop up. the w is more widely accepted and it has more aftermarket but the C will still haul balls just not as easily and not as cheaply. I must say please stick with the C cause it will be unique

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In america the cleveland got discontinued, but not in the land down under where it was the small block. I am not trying to argue this point (or the wild claim of an 840 hp small block without any proof). A truly nasty steert vehicle will be deep into the 12's, that's pretty well faster than most people on the street. I have free clevelands, I have a free ranger, and welding wire....now sit back watch over the next while what I do, and please offer some help if you can

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
the thing is you have to realize how much it is fabrication. pleae don't give up when it is a PITA

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not a lot more than a 351w, uses same mounts and bell housing, but i am going to try to move back a couple inches. my fuzzy area is the rear suspension. Talking to competition engineering, they said i can easily break into 12's with ladder bars and coil overs, if I can fit 10.5 inch tires on the back, maybe a bit faster into high 11's with 12 inchers

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I am glad that you are using a Ford power plant and not some dirtbag GM junk that others use but using a engine that has little support for a swap like this tends to get pushed a side and not finished or scrapped out. I am a true blue Ford lover and always pull for anything Ford and like to see them finished and kicking ass over ANY THING put up to them.
Clevelands and the FE's just dont have the support thats all.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they have support, you can get heads, intakes, stroker kits, whatever you want.... I'm planning on probably using trick flow heads, as shipping in from austrailia just doesnt seem worth it to me when the flow numbers match so closely

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I measured from the fender to the frame rail today I should be able to squeeze 12 inch tires in there without back halving it and going ladder bar.... there is 14 " at the narrowest part of the fender...

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
they have support
Barely at that. :icon_confused:
Now try to find any aftermarket companys that sells conversion kit to install these engines into Rangers, Mustangs, Focuses, Miata's to name a few :icon_rofl:. I am not saying that you wont find any but good luck on the search :bawling:. Now do it for Windsor engines (289, 302, 351) and I bet that you will find them with little problems :icon_thumby:. This is what I am refering to as support for the engines :icon_hornsup:. You may be able to find a few diffrent heads, Intakes, cams, and headers for the 351c's and FE's but you will be able to find many, many of these parts for the Windsors and the Modular engines :headbang:. Not try to bust your balls but like I said the windsors have way more support!!! :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals