• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 3.0 Lean codes

Big65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Trying to fix my father's truck as he passed last year and it has meaning to me. Getting P0174 and occasionally P0171 but only once every 6 months. Truck runs good until it hits temp and the mix ratio changes from cold pre sets. Once it gets warm enough I get a rattle or knock under acceleration. I've replaced vac lines due to cracking, pcv and o ring, fuel pump due to weak psi, maf, tps, egr, 02.

Last week I replaced the coil pack after 3 and 4 got misfire codes and I did the plugs. All plugs on drivers side the electrodes were rounded while the passenger side plugs were still pointed like new outvof the box, 80K miles on them. My thoughts are that the fuel rail or cross over lines are plugged given the burnt electrodes. From what I'm seeing no one makes the rails so I'm left with a junk yard pull or taking what I have and cutting off the pressed on lines, soaking the rail in carb cleaner to dissolve what I can and poke the rest out.

Can I use high pressure fuel line and hose clamps to replace the old ones? Is there any thing else to look at? Brake cleaner test provided nothing. Swapping out 02 did nothing.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's a flex fuel truck, and you can find it, E85 is an excellent fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner. I'd work it in gradually over a couple of tanks though or you might cause yourself more problems.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All plugs on drivers side the electrodes were rounded while the passenger side plugs were still pointed like new out of the box,
That's the way spark plugs wear on Ford (or any vehicle that uses a wasted spark system)

One side of engine wears out the center electrode, other side wears out the ground electrode.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
and you checked the temp sensor/sender? since it does stuff once it reaches temp?

Big65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't checked the temp sensor, I assume it's the same as the one for the dash and I haven't had any problems with it. Air fuel mixture is supposed to be different st a cold start up until it reaches a set temperature and then it adjusts normally similar to a carb set with a choke.

It's non flex fuel model.

By wasted spark are you referring to how the coil pack consists of the coils that serve two cylinders each instead of individual coil for each cylinder?

Big65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I should add that once it's reached 1/4 on the temp guage if I get on the gas I get a rattling that sounds like a lifter. It's not there when it's cold and not there under normal driving conditions but if I have to do a moderate acceleration then it rattles. Gas mileage is not good, I get 250 out of a tank on regular.

Big65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That's the way spark plugs wear on Ford (or any vehicle that uses a wasted spark system)

One side of engine wears out the center electrode, other side wears out the ground electrode.
The thing with this is there's no wear on the passenger side at all on either electrode.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I should add that once it's reached 1/4 on the temp guage if I get on the gas I get a rattling that sounds like a lifter. It's not there when it's cold and not there under normal driving conditions but if I have to do a moderate acceleration then it rattles. Gas mileage is not good, I get 250 out of a tank on regular.
The 'rattling' you're hearing is likely "pinging" or predetonation. It happens when some of the fuel ignites on it's own before the spark. The 3.0 is known for it. Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber can contribute to it. So can a lean condition that increases temps in the combustion chamber. (That would align with the 2 fault codes that you're getting.) Has the fuel filter been replaced? They're a common issue.
If it were my truck, here's what I'd do before really tearing into it much further. I'd go ahead and spend a couple of bucks on 2 cans of seafoam. I'd put 1 can into the brake booster to clean any carbon out of the intake tract, and dump the second can into the fuel tank. It can foul spark plugs, but will at least help to confirm that you're starting with a relatively carbon free system. Once the seafoam job is done, and you've run that tank of fuel with the cleaner through, then change the fuel filter and see how it's running. If it's still rough, you can swap spark plugs. If it's still throwing lean codes after that, then it might be worth pulling the fuel rail/injectors for inspection.

As for the fuel economy, miles per tank is a pretty poor way to gauge it. I think your fuel tank is around 16 gallons. If you're getting 250 miles per tank, that works out to 15.6mpg which isn't great, but also isn't unheard of for a Ranger with a 3.0. Especially in the winter when it takes longer to warm up, fuel blends change, and colder air temps impact oil viscocity and air/fuel mix. Trucks with an automatic transmission, 4WD, or extended cab will tend to do worse than regular cabs, manual trans, or 2wd.

Here's what fuelly shows for a 2001 Ranger with a 3.0. It seems like 15-17mpg is the most common:

Last edited:

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 'rattling' you're hearing is likely "pinging" or predetonation. It happens when some of the fuel ignites on it's own before the spark. The 3.0 is known for it. Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber can contribute to it. So can a lean condition that increases temps in the combustion chamber. (That would align with the 2 fault codes that you're getting.) Has the fuel filter been replaced? They're a common issue.
If it were my truck, here's what I'd do before really tearing into it much further. I'd go ahead and spend a couple of bucks on 2 cans of seafoam. I'd put 1 can into the brake booster to clean any carbon out of the intake tract, and dump the second can into the fuel tank. It can foul spark plugs, but will at least help to confirm that you're starting with a relatively carbon free system. Once the seafoam job is done, and you've run that tank of fuel with the cleaner through, then change the fuel filter and see how it's running. If it's still rough, you can swap spark plugs. If it's still throwing lean codes after that, then it might be worth pulling the fuel rail/injectors for inspection.

As for the fuel economy, miles per tank is a pretty poor way to gauge it. I think your fuel tank is around 16 gallons. If you're getting 250 miles per tank, that works out to 15.6mpg which isn't great, but also isn't unheard of for a Ranger with a 3.0. Especially in the winter when it takes longer to warm up, fuel blends change, and colder air temps impact oil viscocity and air/fuel mix. Trucks with an automatic transmission, 4WD, or extended cab will tend to do worse than regular cabs, manual trans, or 2wd.

Here's what fuelly shows for a 2001 Ranger with a 3.0. It seems like 15-17mpg is the most common:

Well if the OP didn't appreciate your advice I certainly do. Recently scored a 2000 XLT flareside from a younger coworker who let it sit since starting a family. 118k, very clean, 3.0 4R. Worth what I've put in getting it back to great shape. Got the A/C going last week and the added load made pinging quite noticeable. Ran a tank of 92 and didn't make much difference, vacuum lines are good and no codes so I suspect carbon build up.

It is a FFV and I can find E85 here around central OH. Never run it before, any thoughts on filling with E85 on a half tank or so of regular unleaded, then cycling a full tank or two after ? Regardless I will change the fuel filter and run Seafoam/Berrymans, then replace plugs as a matter of course. When adding to the brake booster, do you mean just using the vacuum hose to draw from the can ? Please advise and thank you !

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well if the OP didn't appreciate your advice I certainly do. Recently scored a 2000 XLT flareside from a younger coworker who let it sit since starting a family. 118k, very clean, 3.0 4R. Worth what I've put in getting it back to great shape. Got the A/C going last week and the added load made pinging quite noticeable. Ran a tank of 92 and didn't make much difference, vacuum lines are good and no codes so I suspect carbon build up.

It is a FFV and I can find E85 here around central OH. Never run it before, any thoughts on filling with E85 on a half tank or so of regular unleaded, then cycling a full tank or two after ? Regardless I will change the fuel filter and run Seafoam/Berrymans, then replace plugs as a matter of course. When adding to the brake booster, do you mean just using the vacuum hose to draw from the can ? Please advise and thank you !
E85 is an excellent fuel system cleaner. I would phase it in slowly as you suggested and skip running seafoam through the tank.

As for the Seafoam, yes you let the vacuum suck it from the can, through the hose to the intake manifold. There are instructions on the can.

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good suggestion ! On my 3rd tank of E85. When I get down to 1/4 tank I'm going install the new fuel filter and run unleaded and see how she goes before sipping the seafoam. Didn't get much better than 16 mpg on the E85 so it's no better or worse on the cost scale but a good option to clean the fuel system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals