• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

’92 Ranger A4LD Trans Fluid Leak - At Shifting Armature Maybe?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering what folks here think.

As the title says, I have a ’92 Ranger with and A4LD auto trans that leaks. When I bought it almost a year ago, I could see right away that it was dripping. I changed the fluid and filter and, to my surprise, the leak continued. I purposely bought a filter kit with a cork gasket, because I’ve never had one leak before. I assumed that the bolts were loosening up on me for some reason, so I retorqued them a few times, but the leak persisted. I figured that the next time, I’d just use some Loctite. Drove the truck for 1,500 miles before she had to go down for unrelated repairs. Horror story. I’ll spare you.

Fast forward to now (6 months or so later) and I’m getting close to putting her back on the road. So I bought a new filter, gasket, and ATF. Dropped the pan, drained out the practically new fluid, then thought about something. I realized that the leak was only on one side, covered about 8 inches or so of the edge of the pan, and was centered right around where the shifting armature connects to the side of the trans (that is, the piece that the shifter cable connects to). https://drive.google.com/file/d/17hvMUbBjrrpUBc8MlI8Ayti1qvWMNobl/view?usp=sharing

So that got me thinking. I wiggled the whole assembly a bit and it felt like there was more slop than there should be (I’d say about 1/8” deflection or so in any direction). So I took off the nut that holds the armature onto the rod that passes inside the trans. This allowed me to see one small o-ring around the bolt that the nut came off of, and which the armature slides over. It looked intact. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mMqqi1T5VtMUDp0gR5-bz4YkqNsZh_Ab/view?usp=sharing Thinking that there has to be another larger o-ring or other kind of gasket inside, I started gently prying the armature away from the housing, in order to get it to separate. I’d say I pried it out about 1/8 - 3/16” away from the housing, but it wouldn’t go further off the threaded bolt and I wasn’t about to force it.

So my questions are these:

1.) Is this a common place for leaks on this transmission?
2.) Is there another seal in there? If so, how the heck do I get to it? There is a press-fit roll pin in the vicinity, but I doubt it holds the arm on: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kCi5JqahEMdEm5Sq8TvsEly3zfCVB0IN/view?usp=sharing

Thanks so much for any help, guys. With being so close to getting the truck back on the road after 6-7 months of paying insurance for nothing, I definitely don’t need another leak.

PS - The trans pan also currently has NO magnet in the bottom. Trust me, I looked. Does anyone know where I can pick up one of these donut mags? Every time I ask at the parts store, the guy behind the counter gives me that blank look - you know the one. If not, I have some smaller magnets (about the size of 3 quarters stacked on top of each other), but I worry that they’re not strong enough to stay put. Any chance I could use a dollop of Steel Weld to hold them in place?

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:

I managed to get the linkage (which I was previously calling an “armature”) out today and I definitely think that the leak was probably coming from here (the seal looked like sh@t). Unfortunately, to get to the nut holding the linkage on in the back, I had to remove a “Z” shaped doohickey that was attached to it inside the trans. It's seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VE-09kXSQYgD6doQE9svDcd_l3u3sHU/view?usp=sharing

It was held on by the one-time-use clip that I’m pointing to in the pic which, of course, broke. Any idea where I can get another? I know the parts stores won’t have one, so I’m guessing a transmission shop? The closest one will be 20-30 miles from here, so it will be quite a haul for one stupid clip. Any suggestions? Thanks.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
send your question here: they should be able to answer your question-https://transpartsonline.com/TRANS_PARTS_FILE/tpcat.php?TransPartsOnline=A4LD&TransPartsType=A4LD

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, Croatankid.

I should have posted that I already got things put back together. When I bought the linkage seal on eBay, it was from a girl that works in a transmission shop. She was able to hook me up with the clip for free. But I’ll save this link for future reference.

On a side note, the leak is still there. While in there, I noticed that there was very slight scoring on the trans body where it mates to the pan in this spot. The bolts had also loosened a bit after running her for a day. So I’ll probably try to take the bolts back out one-by-one and put some blue Loctite on them, then re-torque. If that doesn’t stop the leak, then I guess I’ll try some RTV next time. Sure wish there was a drain plug on these pans so I could drain the new fluid out without getting it filthy, then drop the pan again. Oh, well.

Thanks for taking the time to help out. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals