Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Read this beginning to end for the second time. This thing is a masterpiece. You should be commended.

Well done, sir. I tip my goofy f*cking plenum to you.

DRanger024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" front, stock rear
Tire Size
32X11.50-15
Read this beginning to end for the second time. This thing is a masterpiece. You should be commended.

Well done, sir. I tip my goofy f*cking plenum to you.
Thanks. I don’t know if it’s a masterpiece. There are a lot of things I want to do when the weather is warm but by then I don’t want the truck down for more than a couple days. Camping, hauling and yard work are it’s main roles.

No I didn’t take it down any public roads like that. Just used it to haul all of that wood from the driveway to the deck on the back of the house for winter storage.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pop a wheelie!! :D

DRanger024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" front, stock rear
Tire Size
32X11.50-15
Changed the front driveshaft boot today. 30° and windy so naturally I did it in the driveway. Took me two hours to track down some synthetic grease with ptfe in it. Local dealer wanted $45 for the small tube of Motorcraft XG-8a. Eat my shorts. I ended up at a local Ag dealer and bought some John Deere grease.

You can see how bad the original boot cracked. I must have over extended it when I did all of my recent front end work. The rubber is still very pliable.

Remove the clamp on the big end of the original boot first. Clean a spline off and mark it with a paint marker. Make another alignment mark on the yoke in-line with your marked spline.

I marked my cleaned spline on all three sides so I wouldn’t lose it when I pulled the old boot off. Glad I did. I didn’t want to cut the old boot off simply because I didn’t want to scratch whatever the blue coating is that Spicer applied to the shaft. The boot fits very snug against the splines.

Once the old boot is off, clean the spines out with the corner of a rag. I didn’t use any solvents because I have no clue what the blue coating is made of. It’s relatively thick and would surely make things clunk and wobble if it was removed.

Clean up the yoke and stuff some grease in there. Make sure you don’t wipe off your alignment mark.

I put a very light film of grease inside both ends of the new boot just to help it slide on. Slide the small clamp over the splines and slide the new boot on. The boot will have to stretch over the splines a little. Get the clamp over the boot and push it on the rest of the way. Now you can grab the yoke end, put the large clamp on, line up your splines and push it together. Same photo as above.

When I took the old boot off, the ears on the clamps were lined up with each other. I used one of the mold lines on the new boot to do the same. My Knipex pliers for Oetiker style ear clamps didn’t show up yet so I had to make due with my PEX pliers. Do NOT use side cutters to try tightening the clamps. It will not work. So the job is done, my hands are numb and my front shaft won’t get ruined by water or debris anymore.

Pic of the box the boot came in for reference.

The old boot was trashed. Ripped 2/3rds of the way around and probably would have ripped the rest of the way soon.

Last edited: