• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) ‘88 OBD1 into ‘97 Ranger swap

xliarsenickx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone I’m new to the site but I’ve been checking it out here & there for the last couple of months. I recently acquired a 1997 (2.3, 2wd, XL) Ranger from my brother who can no longer drive due to unfortunate circumstances and the other day I blew a hole out of the engine block (hydrolocked). And this hole is massive I don’t think I have any other choice but to replace the engine block. I have access to another 2.3 L from 1988 and I want to put it into my ‘97 but I’m not sure if I can do that because of the OBD incompatibilities (supposedly). Is there anyone out there that has experience with this sort of thing and could possibly tell me what I should look out for or at least point me in the right direction where I can find the information that I’m looking for?

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You should be able to use the 88 short block but you need the 97 head and peripherals.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The only problem is the '97 is expecting a cam sensor and the '88 block does not have the capability of using what is on the '97 with the relocated oil pump and whatever is going on at the auxiliary shaft on the newer ones... Even if you figured out a way to work the cam sensor (I haven't looked how it works, probably just a nub on the shaft) you would need to modify things to use the front seal housing from the '97 for the crank sensor

I think you're stuck with '96 to '01

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals