• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) Oil pouring from between Engine and Tranny

@scotts90ranger Yes, the back valve cover bolts were loose. I tightened them and it stopped smoking (yeah, it was smoking too). But, oil is still pouring out. @RonD. I think you might be right. I did feel the crankshaft and no, it wasn’t perfectly smooth. It had some whitish sort of build up...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Oil pouring from between Engine and Tranny

Hi all. 2.3 1987 Lima, fm145 5 speed manual. Was pouring oil before I changed the rear main. Yes, I waited too long. I was literally adding 4 quarts of oil between every tank of gas! Well, Just finished putting it back together… and it still pours oil. Did a compression test, and lost about...
  3. Can I get some advice? FM145 trans questions during clutch job, 86 4wd

Doing my 1987 FM145 now and have it all together.... but.... I press down the clutch pedal to the floor yet the clutch doesn't dissengage. I think there are air bubbles in the master (maybe the slave?). How did you bleed it?
  4. New Clutch, Pressure Plate, Slave Cylinder -->Clutch Won't Disengage

Thanks, but it sounds like you are referring to the newer quick-connect style, yes? The old style simply has a metal fitting that slides into the slave cylinder and is held in place with an "R" clip. With my truck, if I disconnect, there is nothing to stop the fluid from draining out the...
  5. New Clutch, Pressure Plate, Slave Cylinder -->Clutch Won't Disengage

First time doing a clutch, and I'd like to say I'm 99% done... except it's not working. The basics: 1987 4x4, 2.3 Lima/Pinto and 5-speed. I bought the M-PACT 07048WS kit from RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8139676&cc=1137530&pt=1993&jsn=14. I replaced the pilot...
  6. New Clutch & Slave won't disengage

First time doing a clutch, and I'd like to say I'm 99% done... except it's not working. The basics: 1987 4x4 + 5speed. I bought the M-PACT 07048WS kit from RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8139676&cc=1137530&pt=1993&jsn=14. I replaced the pilot bearing, put in the new...
  7. Most reliable Ranger configuration?

If you need reliability and you've zero'd in on a Ford Ranger, you've made the right choice. Hard to go wrong with any of them. I've had a 1997 4.0 OHV, and now a 1987 2.3Lima. The 4.0 needed new gaskets on the intake plenum.... that was easy. The only real issue was the 5spd tranny...
  8. MAF vs MAP~ Lean Fuel Mixture when swapping 1987 Exhaust Manifold for a 1993 'Shorty' Header

Just hooked it up and ran it. So far so good. Guess we'll see how long it lasts.
  9. MAF vs MAP~ Lean Fuel Mixture when swapping 1987 Exhaust Manifold for a 1993 'Shorty' Header

Thanks alwaysFloored and Daniel Black. The tap idea is a good one. But I had my buddy weld a lip on the bottom wedge of the header. We’ll see if this works.... keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise the tap is going to be my next attempt.
  10. MAF vs MAP~ Lean Fuel Mixture when swapping 1987 Exhaust Manifold for a 1993 'Shorty' Header

I made the switch from the cast manifold to the shorty header. I think my truck gained some pep, and I like the fact that the headers save some weight. But I have two issues: 4 extra holes: In 1987, Ford put extra holes on the engine head, directly under the exhaust holes. The cast manifold...
  11. 1987 2.3L. Another no start... but this thread is different: I've done all the tests!

OK, last night, I took the timing cover off again. To my surprise, the cam and crank were properly aligned on their respective timing marks. Put it back together and it started! Lol, I'm not sure why it died the night before, but I wish I had tried a little harder to get it started. Either...
  12. 1987 2.3L. Another no start... but this thread is different: I've done all the tests!

Forgot to mention, I replaced the tensioner pulley over the weekend... but not the spring. I'll try that next.
  13. 1987 2.3L. Another no start... but this thread is different: I've done all the tests!

Thanks Ron D and Rusty Ol Ranger, you were correct... however... :confused:.... It ran great for a total of 2 minutes and jumped again. What could be causing this? I will say, I heard a loud tick or knock, sounded kinda lick a valve? Also, once I got everything pulled apart and the crank...
  14. 1987 2.3L. Another no start... but this thread is different: I've done all the tests!

Thank you Ron! Oh man, if that is the issue I'd be so happy. I'll begin exploring that rabbit hole.
  15. 1987 2.3L. Another no start... but this thread is different: I've done all the tests!

Well, it comes to this... My truck won't start. Yes, I'm a rookie, but I read a lot. And this truck has me stumped. Time for help from the forum: Truck Summary: 1987 2.3 Lima engine. Yes, its old... but runs great. About 187K miles. Truck was running fine. I parked at the office, worked...
  16. New Owner of a Classic 87 4x4 2.3

Hi Everyone! Just introducing myself. I just purchased my 3rd ranger. I learned to drive on my step data's '92 stick 4x2 long bed with a 4cyl. I bought a '97 4x4 4.0 extended cap with a stick when I turned 27 and owned that for ten years. Now I'm 40 and I just bought the best Ranger of them...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad