• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Engine Swap/Fuel Pump Question

Long story. I've got an 88 Ranger that was originally a 2.3 EFI with electric fuel pumps. I think I read that it has two, one in the tank and one inside the frame rail under the drivers seat. Omitting a lot of drama here... I installed a 2.3 out of a 93 Mustang using an older head so I can...
  2. Which engine should I rebuild

I need to replace the 2.0 in my son's Ranger (long story). I have the 1988 2.0 that's in it now (not original engine), I also have the original engine, a 1988 2.3, AND I have a 1974 2.3 out of a Pinto. Which engine would be the better one to rebuild? Is one head better than the other? P.S...
  3. Weber Carb Linkage

I've got a Weber carb on the 2.0 that I bought for my 88 Ranger. Holley licensed this carb as well, so there should be quite a few out there. I'm not sure of the Weber model number, but it's a 2 barrel with two gears on the linkage that causes both barrels to open at the same time. What have...
  4. Distributer Question - hope this isn't another stupid one

My 88 2.3 EFI ranger gave up the ghost so I bought a used 2.0 also out of an 88. The distributer in the new engine, which is carburated, has a round three pronged connector on the distributer. My old distributer has the 6 wire (I think) big oval connector. My question is, can I simply put...
  5. What is Limp Mode?

What is it & how can you tell if you're in it. The term seems to be tossed around for Rangers that run poorly. Rick
  6. Another Timing Belt Question

Yes, I've read ALL of the others. My question has to do with the pointer that you use to line up the mark on the cam gear. It'd be a no brainer if it were a simple pointer, but mine is like a three pronged fork, or has three fingers on it. When I took the timing cover off (after rotating to...
  7. I Hope this isn't a stupid question - Compression

The 88 Ranger that I bought last month runs like CRAP. There are several issues, but to check the overall health of the engine I did a compression test. Cyl 1 - 100 PSI Cyl 2 - 50 PSI Cyl 3 - 100 PSI Cyl 4 - 50 PSI Is it possible that if my timing belt was installed wrong (out of time be a...
  8. 2.3 Timing and Spout Connectors

Hello all. Trying to set the timing on a 1988 2.3 Ranger that I just bought. I read that I have to disconnect the 'spout' connector (I guess that's an electronic version of a vaccum advance). I found a connector that looks kind of like a large 'in line fuse' housing that I think may be the...
  9. Oil Pan Gasket Question

Hello all. New to the forum & have a Ranger question or two. I bought a 1988 2.3, 2wd Ranger the other day. I knew it had an oil leak, but I'm mechanically inclined, so no biggie. I pressure washed the engine, above & below, and saw that oil is seeping out of the front of the pan gasket. I...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad