• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Mystery engine shut down

I've got an 85 Ranger 2.8 5 spd 4x4...all stock. Problem I'm having is while driving down the road city or highway it will surge dramatically then clean up at cruise. Lately it has been shutting down but will re start with no problem. I have checked/replaced plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor...
  2. 4x4 to 4x2 conversion

I know it may sound a little odd to do this conversion but I'm not into the 4x4 scene. I've got an 85 4x4 that is rust free and I'm looking at converting it to 2wd. The questions I have are once the TTB is removed what all is involved? Is the radius arm bracket the same on the 4x4 as the 4x2...
  3. Compression test results

So I completed the compression test and here is what I got. 1. 150 2. 145 3. 150 4. 150 5. 95 6. 150 This was cranking pressure clutch disengaged and throttle wide open and engine cold. I guess nexy i'll head down to the parts store to get a cooling system pressure tester. I also pulled...
  4. 2.8 blues in a very nice Ranger

Okay, so here's the scoop folks. I just picked up an 85 4x4 Ranger XL for $250.00. It's got the 1350 t-case and manual hubs a 5 speed ps cruise pb air and is rust free. Previous owner (PO) said it wouldn't run. I got it to fire and run tonight by checking grounds and cleaning some connectors...
  5. 4WD to 2WD?

I know this is going to sound a bit odd to most but I'm more of a 2WD kinda fella. Anyway, what I've got is an 85 B2 4X4, 2.8 w/ A4LD (going bad, go figure). I know at one point Ford had 2WD B2's with a dummy t-case. The question is "are the 2WD first gen Ranger front suspensions the same as...
  6. C5 trans swap info.

I've got an 85 4x4 XLS B2 that currently has an A4LD trans and 2.8 engine in it that I feel has seen some better days. Long story short, I have located a C5 trans from an 84 Ranger 4x4 with a 2.8. Question is will this trans from a Ranger fit my B2 and being that it is a 4x4 trans would I be...
  7. 85 B2 2.8/A4LD Dura-spark conversion

I've been looking at completing a Duraspark conversion here pretty soon but I'm having issues finding a carb. A friend of mine gave me a motorcraft carb that once installed created a bad vacuum leak. It wouldn't seal properly. Mine has a plastic spacer between the carb and EGR plate and the...
  8. 85 B2 w/ A4LD trans

I've got in my opinion i really nice 85 B2 that runs pretty good and seems to have a good solid A4LD trans in it. Problem is that while going down the road it goes in and out of OD and the MPG's are POOP. I can't seem to locate the issue. I've also acquired the parts to do a the Dura-spark...
  9. 1988 2.9 loading up with fuel

I have a recently rebuilt 2.9 in my truck that runs great. It does still need a few things replaced such as tune up items that I'm slowly replacing. However, the problem I am having is loading up with fuel at operating temps or when the engine is cold. It does this at random times. I...
  10. 2.9 belt alignment issues

So I just got done putting the engine back together on my 88 Ranger and I seem to have a belt alignment issue. After I re-installed the balancer and water pump pulley along with the alternator bracket I noticed the balancer groove to be just under a 1/4 inch out meaning the water pump pulley...
  11. 302 engine mounting options

I've been thinking of some options about how to mount the 302 in my 88 2WD Ranger. I've seen quite a few manufacturers available to get engine mounts. My latest line of thought has been on using an engine mount plate. I've used these in the past on a brand X (S-10) and it freed up a lot of...
  12. 2.9 to 2.8 swap

I have an 88 XLT 2WD Ranger that has a boat anchor 2.9 that is way past shot and a 5 speed trans. I have found what appears to be a good deal on a rebuild 2.8. I'm thinking I would like to switch the 2.9 for the 2.8. I know I would need to work on the fuel pressure by changing the pump and so...
  13. Tech Questions

Relitively new here and have done some looking to see what I could find out about going from a 2.9 to a 2.0 or 2.3. Currently the truck I have has the 2.9 and 5 spd and is an 88 2wd short bed. I'm about fed up with the v-6. I've had really good luck the 2.3's in the past. My question is...
  14. 2.9 to 2.8 swap in 88 2WD Ranger

So I got what I thought would was the great deal on an 88 2WD Ranger. Got for $350 so I'm not whinning too much and the truck is rust free. Okay, so bad freeze plug turned into blown head gasket, turned into cracked head, turned into toasted cam bearings project has been fun to say the least...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad