• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Dnj head gaskets ?

i ordered a pair of heads from J S and got the gaskets and head bolts. The gaskets are DNJ - any experience with them ?
  2. 4.0 OHV head gasket replacement procedure

getting ready to put new heads on my 93 4.0, was wondering if someone has written a good change head gasket procedure here ?
  3. 93 original plug #2 white

I bought a 93 4.0 all original. Changed the plugs. Plug #2 was white. After new plugs and a few miles plug #2 is white again. The compression check showed 150 in all cylinders. It is using some coolant. Head problem or intake ? Any way to be sure? Yes I have 2 rangers a 99 and a 93.
  4. New head gasket bubbles in overflow when turned off

I had leaking head gaskets. I took the heads to be checked and rebuilt which are the aftermarket ones . Used the heavy duty head gasket felpro set and new bolts. Put all back together . After one week I checked and no bubbles in overflow while engine is running. But when engine is turned off I...
  5. 99 Ranger 4.0 4x4 no reverse, but low does work

I was pulling out of my drive way when I heard like the trans popped out of gear while in reverse. It is a 99 Ranger with the 4.0L 4x4, 157K miles. It runs fine in low and drive. If I speed up in 1st and left my foot off, it will come down in rpms, but no reverse. How do I tell if the...
  6. Timing Marks on a 3.8L mounted sideways

Was wondering if anyone who reads this thread might know where the timing marks are on a 3.8L mounted sideways in a Lincoln Continential. I can not find the timing marks for the life of me. Thanks
  7. Sideways 3.8L timing marks ?

I am working on a 94 Continential with a sideways 3.8L and can find the timing marks for the life of me. Do I need to take the front tire off to see the timing marks ? Thanks !!
  8. PreCats on 99 4.0L

I have 99 4.0L OHV with a precat after each manifold then the Y and then two more cats. I believe my cracked heads caused fuel to dump into the precats and clog them. truk runs ok but no top end power. no cels. My question is if my precats are hollowed out, will the back two cats be enough...
  9. Clogged pre-cat ?

I have a 99 OHV 4.0L. A while back I replaced my heads which were cracked: I kept fouling plugs. After replacing the heads, the trucks runs but just does not have the top end it used to. I did vaccum test and show 22in-HG at a constant rev. I just think that one of the pre-cats (the one that...
  10. Vacuum Test 20inHG and reved 22inHG (good ?)

At idle my 4.0L has 20 HG/in and when I rev it the vaccuum drops for a second then the vacuum goes up to about 22HG/in. Does this sound about right ? I am trying to make sure my cats are not creating back-pressure.
  11. 99 4.0L precats

I had fouled plugs for while due to cracked heads. Anyone ever seen this condition cause the cats to clog ? I am wondering if my precats clogged ?
  12. Power Question

I have a 99 Ranger off road 4.0L. I recently figured out that plugs were fouling due to cracked heads. Probably ran with cracked heads for about 10K miles. I changed the heads. Change the fuel filter, wires, plugs, thermo, water pump. The truck runs fine, but I believe it should have more power...
  13. Injectors

I am have lost power in my 4.0L. (104Kmkiles) How common is it for the injectors to clog up on these ?
  14. CAT on 99 Ranger 4.0L

My 99 4.0L does not have the power it used to. Please note I am in CA. I am thinking it may be a clogged CAT. Is there a good method to test if the CAT is clogged or not ? Is there a good aftermarket cat I can bolt up ?
  15. Head Gaskets Recommendations

I just replaced my heads and used a fel-pro gaskets. I did not like the fel-pro two piece lower intake gasket for one thing, nor the cork valve cover gaskets. There is a higher end fel-pro gasket set that claims heavy duty gaskets, but not sure if the head gaskets are actually any different...
  16. Just bought King Heads.

I just ordered new heads from king for my 99 4.0L OHV and Alabama heads showed up. I installed them, and I am using water. Could be my fault, not sure. I also in ordered at the same time the fel-pro head set and head bolts and they came from RockAuto. King is located in Oakland, CA and...
  17. Exhaust manifold studs and collector Studs

I am changing my heads and want to replace the exhaust manifold and collector studs at the same time. I went to the stealer and they want $10 per exhaust stud, $4 per nut and $15 per collector manifold stud, over $200... I walked out Anyone know where to purchase studs that will work or...
  18. How Many miles before change Timing Chain?

Can someone tell me how many miles I should go be before changing the timing chain on the 4.0L OHV engine ? Thanks!!
  19. Water Pump & Timing Chain replacement decision

I have a 99 Off Road Ranger with 4.0 OHV engine. I have 103K miles and more than likely one of my heads is cracked. I intend to change both heads to aftermarket. My question is should I change the timing chain and water pump since I have part of the engine apart anyway and 103K miles ?
  20. #4 cylinder not firing / Water / cracked head

I have a 99 4.0 OHV engine 104K miles and my number plug keeps fouling due to water. I did a leak down test (I was close to TDC) and it leaked and water starting coming out the radiator. Definitely a leak somewhere. Probably a gasket and cracked head. But is it possible the lower intake gasket...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad