• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 88 Ranger running rich when hot

My sons Ranger started running rich after the engine warms up. It runs great when cold. When it is hot it runs rough and often dies when you come to a stop. The fuel mileage dropped to about 8-10 MPG. I changed out the temp sensor and the connector. many of the other sensors I have swapped with...
  2. Fuel issue

I'm working on an 88 ranger. It seems to be suffering from fuel pressure issues after driving for a short time, (intermittent issue of course), I have replaced both fuel pumps and checked the wiring. One strange thing I noticed is on the canister thing that is is between the tank and the high...
  3. Oil issues

I am working on a 90 B2. It seems like there is insufficient oil flow to the right side of the engine. The lifters don't seem to be staying pumped up, and there seems to be very little if any oil in the rocker shaft. I have checked the oil pressure with a gauge and it is running at 45 - 50 psi...
  4. Strange fuel connection *Solved*

I am trying to remove the fuel line from the regulator on a 90 B2. it is different from any other I have seen. Any idea on how to remove this? Thanks
  5. 80 PSI Fuel Pressure "Oh My"

I am working on my sons 90 B2 which is suffering from low gas mileage and high idle (as much as 2500 RPM). I changed the injectors thinking they were leaking. It still sounded like it was not running right. I put on the fuel pressure gauge and it is running 80 PSI. I assume this is too high as...
  6. 88 Ranger code 41 *solved*

Hey all, I have an 88 Ranger I bought cheap with the engine out. I have rebuilt the 2.9, put in all new sensors including the O2. The fuel pressure is 34psi while running (new pressure pump and filter). It had some old gas in the tank which I stupidly did not remove. I added 10 gal of gas with...
  7. Sleeve issue

Hey all, I installed a sleeve on the crankshaft main seal area. After pushing it as far down as it will go there is still 1/8in. protruding beyond the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel mounts. What is the best way to remove the excess sleeve material? Thanks
  8. Question about balancer.

Is there any difference between the balancer for different years the 2.9 was available. When my son bought his 90 B2 the engine was in need of a refresh. Being a poor student he was just looking to do a ring/bearing/lifter/oil pump refresh. The cylinder wear was a bit too much so we bought a...
  9. Cracked Head?

My son called last night that his engine was getting hotter than normal. (90 B2 2.9L) He told me the temp never gets off cold usually. It also started putting out a lot of white smoke. Our investigation revealed that his coolant level was about in the middle of his radiator. (It looks like the...
  10. Fuel pressure issue

Lately I have been having issues with slight missing while on the highway. Yesterday after stopping for the light on the off ramp the idle became very rough and the engine died. It restarted after about 30 sec. At the next stop it died again. When I got home I put the fuel pressure tester on...
  11. Crankshaft problems

Hey all, I rebuilt the 2.9 in my 89 Ranger in January this year. The crank thrust surface was worn and needed to be welded and machined back to spec. On friday while troubleshooting a vibration at 3000RPM I noticed the vibration damper moving in and out. I pulled the engine and found that the...
  12. Interesting observation on the 2.9L

When I pulled the engine from my Ranger to rebuild I discovered the thrust surface on the crank was worn badly and allowed a lot of front to back movement in the crank. I had to have the crank welded and ground to spec. It seems that Ford thought it was sufficient to have a thrust surface only...
  13. Emissions/engine issue

Hey all, my son bought a 90 B2 and has not been able to pass the emissions test. It is failing the idle HC portion of the test. It needs to be under 200 and runs about 375. I have done all the external stuff I can think of: Air charge temp sensor, IAC, O2, MAP, & timing. It actually did its best...
  14. Check engine light

Hey all, I have been having a strange issue with the CEL after the rebuild. Before I pulled the engine I had no issues with the CEL. Now the light comes on after driving for 5 to 10 minutes. Turning the truck off then back on turns off the CEL. It turns off the light even if you cycle the key at...
  15. Fan for 2.9

Hey all, the plastic part of my fan has multiple cracks. Does anyone know if the fan from a newer 3.0 will work on the 2.9? I am also considering an electric fan. Is anyone running an electric, if so what are you using and how is it working? Thanks
  16. IAC question

Because of idle problems I removed and inspected the IAC. What I observed: When the solenoid is removed valve closes and stops airflow. Valve rod moves smoothly and spring returns it to closed. When solenoid is on, rod is pushed and air can flow. When installed on engine, air is always flowing...
  17. Engine won't idle with Spout installed

Engine won't idle with Spout installed **Solved** Hey all,I am having an odd problem with getting my rebuilt engine running correctly. After installing my engine I got it running and timed with the Spout plug out. It seemed to be idling OK at that point. After replacing the Spout the truck...
  18. 89 2.9L running issues

Hey all, I just got my rebuilt engine back in my ranger. Yesterday I fired it up and timed it to 10 BTC and it was running and idle was great. Because of brake issues I didn't take it on a test drive. Today after redoing the brakes I went to fire it up and it wouldn't start. I took the little...
  19. "The Night Ranger"

Sorry about the name, but that is what my son's friends have named it. Starting a thread to keep track of what is being done. The Basics: 1989 Ranger XLT extended cab 4X4 2.9L V6 Dana 28 TTB in front 7.5 in back w/10" drums 5 speed manual transmission 30x9.5x15 tires I bought this truck Oct...
  20. Rebuild info.

I am starting this weekend to rebuild the 2.9 in my 89 Ranger. What is the best resource for finding the torque values, clearances, adjustments, ect. Is there a web resource, or book I should have. So often the books you pick up at the auto parts store seem to be missing critical information...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad