• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Thinking about F150 to upgrade from Ranger

So I've scouted an '03 F150 flareside with the 4.2v6 and 5sp... 2WD... At practically Ranger pricing... Before you reply with "don't get rid of your ranger, rangers are the best trucks on the planet" know this: if I was 5'9" and not 6'2", we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I do...
  2. Throttle cable source.

I can't seem to find anywhere that sells throttle cables for the 2.3 Ranger. Are they generic to all ranger engines? every place seems to throw no results as soon as I filter for the 2.3, but they have results for the v6 rangers. The problem I have is that there is about an inch of excess...
  3. new clutch master won't install - 1/4 turn type

So I've got a 97 ranger, with the quarter-twist install on the master cyl, and I"ve got the line routed properly, the reservoir in place, the grommet popped in, and the master cylinder housing in situ, but it just WILL NOT TURN that little quarter-turn to lock down. Any tips/tricks?
  4. Explorer front end (body) on a ranger

Been looking around, and I can't seem to find a ranger with the front clip off an explorer. anyone done it?
  5. Flywheel bolts won't break loose...

Changing the clutch at 214K... can't get the flywheel bolts loose. My impact gun (old, and maybe not working at 100%) is rated something like 240 ft-lb, and a breaker bar just turns the engine... Halp?
  6. Whaty clutch master assemblies can I use?

so I'm in the middle of changing my clutch, and I noticed some rub interference on the plastic line from the master to the slave. So I found this one on Amazon. It happens to have a metal sleeve over the part that interferes with the frame. I also found this one on amazon. This one doesn't...
  7. Suggestion for Tech article section: "Might as Well" Maintenance

I'm looking around and trying to consolidate work on my ranger, into distinct projects. Right now, it needs the clutch and timing belt done. Clutch has failed, Timing belt is overdue for scheduled change. I'm trying to find info on what all I "Might as Well" do while I've got the truck torn...
  8. Is there a list of "Might as well" parts when clutch is replaced?

I couldn't find one of these lists, but I was wondering if there was a list of things that you "might as well" replace when you've got the trans out to replace the clutch. Obviously the slave cylinder and pilot bushing/bearing, but at 215K, I'm thinking that I'll need a new flywheel and/or...
  9. Trying to recharge, compressor short-cycles

(1997 Ranger XLT 2.3 w/ Factory AC) So I got a manifold gauge set and pulled a vacuum on my system, then put some R134 with lubricant in it into the system. System reads 50 psi on the low side, and 100 psi on the high side at engine idle, but then the compressor kicks on and they go down to...
  10. My Manual Transmission sounds like an idling diesel

I've observed this condition in neutral, parked. No way to observe while driving due to wind/engine/road noise. Clutch is pressed (disengaged) from about 0:09 to 0:12 and 0:20 to 0:22 Edit to clarify: this is a 2002 Explorer 4.0 V6 5 speed manual with 4x4...
  11. tow WAY less with a manual trans?

So the owners manual for my 02 explorer has the towing capacity at roughly: 4.0 4x4 Auto: 5700 lb 4.0 4x4 Manual: 2400 lbs Any clue as to why the towing rating is so neutered on the manual transmission? would someone with an 02 4.0 manual 4x4 ranger please tell me what their owner's manual...
  12. won't go into gear sometimes

2002 explorer XLS 4.0 5-speed 4x4, occasionally feels like something is stuck in the shifter. It just WILL NOT go into gear. sometimes will not even go in the gate, other times will go in the gate, but not in gear... Usually, but not always, if I let the clutch back out, it will go into gear...
  13. Went and caught a unicorn!

well, after getting beaten out of an 02 Sport Trac with 4x4 and a manual transmission, I found a 4-door XLT with 4x4 and a manual transmission. For the price, I don't mind needing 4 tires, 4 brakes, the headlight panel and the taillights - at junkyard prices, all still under what I was gonna...
  14. left blinker going screwball on me...

this just started today or last night. Scratch that, I just noticed it today or last night, but I'm usually pretty observant about stuff in my cars... Anyway, the Left Blinker will randomly not work. I've narrowed it down to the following conditions: when the turn signal is locked in the left...
  15. ever hear of a 5-speed Explorer?

One of these popped up on Craiglist... according to the seller, this was a factory option... thoughts on this? I wanna take a look at it, but I don't think its gonna be worth the 2500 he wants for it.
  16. Coil Spring removal

So I can't find where anyone has already posted about doing this, but my coil springs already have a retaining tab, and it seems to just be one of the factory lateral tabs that has been bent over. I had the spring all the way compressed, and it would not friggin come out. I thought maybe it was...
  17. Rear axle clunk... not in the suspension

Well gents, like the title says, I"ve got a clunk in the rear axle and I know it isn't from the suspension. I don't notice it while driving, but I noticed it while wrenching sideways on the truck as it sat on the ground. It appears there is a little bit of runout on the RH rear axle... not sure...
  18. Swapping larger gas tank into Short Bed?

Well, it looks like my beater truck is beaten, and I will probably be parting it out. or posting it here for a basis for someone else to throw money at. It is a former fleet truck, and it has a 21 gallon fuel tank. That was a shock the first time I filled it up, after seeing in the owner's...
  19. Rear end sways over bumps

Hey all, I'm hoping you can help me track down the issue in my rear suspension. I've done some searching and I've come up with an answer to the clunking issue... but nothing for the other problem, and I'm wondering if there is a connection (or rust where a connection should be). Basically...
  20. Hello from Indy!

Hey guys, I'm a pretty accomplished shadetree mechanic from Indy, I've got a 97 ranger that my wife uses for a DD, as well as a 96 Ranger that was my Winter beater until it blew a head gasket... now it just takes up space. Been looking through some of the conversion info on the Tech side, and...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad