• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Using 4WL

99 4.0 5 speed. Any tips on engaging 4WL? Goes from 2w to 4wh quickly but 4wl erratic. Stop, neutral, back up, restart?
  2. 4WD died for a bit

So today I got to my steep dirt driveway, clicked over to 4WH, the dash light blinked several times, never went in. Drove around on the street a bit, no help. Finally gave the servo motor a few love taps, that worked. Lots of rain and wet roads lately and the motor looks a little rusty on...
  3. ABS dash light

Been on ever since I got it. No problem driving I read that I should unplug the sensor to see if that does anything. Where do I find it? 1999 Ranger.
  4. Headlights on?

At least twice now I have walked away leaving the lights on. The dash lights work but not bright enough in the daylight to remind me. Is there a buzzer, dash light or something that warns you “Hey you left the lights on, idiot.”
  5. Clutch acting up

Now it’s my clutch. 1999 Ranger. Couple weeks ago one morning had a loss of travel. Improved after a few miles, but has happened since when cold. Put some brake fluid in the reservoir, was a bit low. Now has over an inch of free play, barely releases or shifts. Can I try to bleed it? No...
  6. 99 Dome Lights

I have 3 bulbs up there, left and right that work with the switch there, and an LED between them. When does the LED work?
  7. 1999 won’t start - clutch

I usually have to push the clutch in for it to turn over. How do I bypass that? Stuck in parking lot.
  8. More P1151 Engine Check Code

Howdy, been away sick for awhile but back to driving my '99 Ranger 4x4 4.0. Getting the dreaded P1151 oxygen switching sensor. Read most of the threads here; ignition, fuel, vacuum leak, sensor itself,,, mine is unusual, maybe, as it only happens after full warm up, 15-20 minutes or so. And I...
  9. 1999 Ranger Transfer Case Motor Blue Thingy

Hi Guys, I rebuilt my shift motor last year, didn't need it really perfect inside. Today I have the motor off again to check the plastic bushing on the big gear, also perfect. I understand there are some contacts inside the blue plastic dingus the wires go into. Does that come apart for...
  10. Front Ride Height with Torsion Bars

I was just reading that the spec for front ride height on all models (mine is 99 4x4), measure by the difference between lower control arm bolt center to floor and lowest point of spindle to floor is 4-4.5". Mine is somewhere around 3"! Am I doing something wrong? Here is a photo, doesn't...
  11. Mice!

A mouse ate a candy bar, in the wrapper, of the seat of my '99. Might have left the window down. This is at my cabin in the woods. Last night I put a bucket trap with peanut butter on the floorboard, made sure all the windows were up. 4 mice in it this morning! How are they getting in, the...
  12. Synthetic Oil or Not for Low Use Vehicles

I have been doing yearly oil changes on two fire trucks, a 2016 and a 2019, both F450s. They are lucky to see 500 miles in a year. They do idle a lot at calls. I've been using conventional oil and haven't kept up on modern oils like synthetics. Would there be any benefit in this situation?
  13. Intermittent Stock Radio

Twice now the radio in my '99 Ranger has died out, only to come back on it's own. No lights, no clock, nothing. It's the AM/FM with cassette and CD player above. The first time it came back on it's own while driving, the second time after being parked overnight. I checked fuse 29, the only...
  14. Engine dies low idle after sitting

Non Ford, hope that's OK here. I have a '97 Dodge dump truck that sits for long periods of time, I don't keep a battery in it. When I do run it, often it will not idle right away. If I rev it up and slowly back of the throttle down to an idle that usually works, but just letting off the pedal...
  15. The Ranger Clunk?

Hey Guys, Just went through several pages of a 'Clunk' search, looked at the Tech Library but still no answer. I have a '99 stick and my pal has an '01 auto. Both make the same driveling clunk when taking off from a stop unless deliberately slow. His has done it since new, I got mine used...
  16. 2019 F450 Front Caliper Bolt Torque

One of the guys came back from a run yesterday with scraping noise coming from the left front. Took me about 15 seconds to see the caliper bolts were gone! Picking up the new ones this morning and hoping someone here might have the book spec on torque. Rig is out of service obviously. Thanks...
  17. Loud Power Steering

My 1999 Ranger has a pretty audible whine coming from the power steering pump, a bit louder when turning but always there. Works fine and has been this way since I bought it used a couple of years ago. Just wondering if this is a trait of these or should I be concerned?
  18. Switching 2WH to 4WH

I use 4WH in my stock 99 Ranger frequently to get to my cabin. I have always come to a stop before switching, but recently tried it on the fly, as you are supposed to be able to do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it clunks and sometimes it doesn't work. Have others had this experience? Always...
  19. 2016 F550 4WD Problems

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. I'm in a fire dept., we have the above rig. Today some of the crew were out in the hills, going between 2wd and 4wd. They got back and said it would no longer go into 4wh. I got in sure enough, but after several attempt I did get it into 4wh and...
  20. Third Brake Light other lights

Hey! Been awhile since I've posted, because my '99 Ranger, nicknamed Ruby, has been wonderfully trouble free. Love that thing. Anyway, you know the lights above the rear window, the clear ones outboard of the brake light? Are they supposed to light up in reverse? TIA

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad