• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. downer

Is my problem using non-TTY head bolts

lol, you mean you don't turn 90 degrees after they break right? yes ARP bolts aren't torqued to OEM specs on the 4.0 OHV cause there aren't any OEM specs for non-TTY bolts , but i thank you for the attachment. i had not seen that before. and yes i did use assembly lubricant if anyone cares...
  2. downer

Thanks to all for helping me get here.

Never been a big poster but a big reader for a while. Big thanks to this site for all the help from active and past posters. 97 Ranger XLT 4.0 ohv. Rebuilt engine, bored over, comp cams 410, 4.0 SOHC lower cradle, front lift springs, axle pivot brackets, rear air bags, rear discs and whatever...
  3. downer

Good to know. I did torque step wise initially, the re-torque was one step up, but only roughly 10 ft/lb. Given your info I think it would be reasonable to go to 100 lb/ft and re-evaluate. Thanks.
  4. downer

Head gasket issues after rebuild. Long story short I rebuilt my 4.0 ohv and didn't exactly follow all the rules, but followed most of them. Block was taken to reputable shop and checked and bored for new cylinders etc. New heads, gaskets, Comp cam, SOHC lower cradle etc, basically new everything...
  5. downer

ISO Retainer Springs & Roll Pins

I have my old motor I can pull the pins and clips off if you'd like. It's going to junkyard otherwise. Assuming the cam rod end clips and pins is what you need?
  6. downer

Dipstick with 4.0 OHV with SOHC oil pan/cradle swap

After finally finishing my 4.0 ohv rebuild, I am at the point of finally firing. I reused the ohv dipstick tube and dipstick and I suspect I should have done the SOHC dipstick. Hitting the full on the OHV dipstick & tube I believe is overfilled as it appears the rear main seal is leaks out til...
  7. downer

cam synchronizer alignment w/ pics

i think i may be overthinking this. So i have no cam sychronizer reference for this engine, i'm working through a full rebuild of the original 97 block. It's so much easier to deal with this when the engine is out of the truck. can anyone verify which way is correct? i believe the second set of...
  8. downer

Borg Warner Transfer Case ID

Borg Warner Transfer Case ID PDF
  9. downer

97 5r55e OD drum sensor

I'm looking for some info that can confirm whether or not this transmission has an overdrive drum sensor. from what I understand the vss change was made in 97, but I can't find anything specifying which transmissions have it. it's dying and I'm looking for a replacement. 97 ranger 4.0 4x4 RABS...
  10. downer

difference between cranks and woodruff keys

i have a 97 6 bolt crank with a full length key channel cut into the snout for the crank pulley. i have a 94 crank which does not have a full length keyway and i cannot find the corret woodruff key for it. everything i've found online says the woodruff keys are the same between 90-00. local...
  11. downer

rear main seal sleeve

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 4.0. I have the updated rear main seal and a low mileage crank in good condition, no scoring on the crank. Can I skip the repair sleeve and just install the new seal?
  12. downer

rod oil squirter orientation

slowly assembling my 4.0. there doesn't seem to be any clear direction on which way the rods should be installed. would seem to me that the rotation of the crank would dictate all the oil squirters face the same direction:icon_confused: wondering what people here who rebuilt have done. anyone...
  13. downer

8.8 tone ring

i will be swapping in an lsd carrier. currently ABS does not work and has not worked since i've bought the truck. i haven't looked into it much yet, not real concerned about abs functioning right now. i do need to know if there is a tone ring on the current carrier. are all 97 rangers at least...
  14. downer

parts cleaning before assembly

my block is back from the shop and it's time to start putting everything back together. question is what's the best way to clean the internals before assembly? i've had the parts covered up, but they have some dust from sitting in my shop. rods, pistons, cam and heads are new but the rest...
  15. downer

roller rockers - do they exist

i don't think these will really fit but i better ask. summit lists Harland Sharp S40018 as fitting 90-08 4.0s? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s40018/applications/engine-size/4-0l-245 i've done some searching and didn't find much, which probably means they won't work without some custom...
  16. downer

what cylinder clearance to rebore?

i've got my 4.0 torn down to bare block, it's getting new pistons. i've got a set of keith black pistons, but i'm not sure if i need to get it bored. what's an acceptable clearance from cylinder to new hypereutectic piston? .005 or so??
  17. downer

sohc oil pan swap

questions on how the sohc oil pan is bolted on. do i need to use the sohc main bearing bolts? i'm not familiar with the sohc. is the upper pan actually bolted to the main bearing caps somehow? i'm looking at the 8 hex head inserts in the upper pan and this diagram and scratchin my head...
  18. downer

Needing 4.0 Supercharger Info

another option is an m90 out of an 95-97 jaguar xjr, may be other years not sure. shorter snout if that helps you. this is basically what i have, but i have yet to install it. i don't have factory a/c, so i'm trying to find a way to intercool with this setup. they are usually a bit more money.
  19. downer

subaru pistons?

In a search for better than stock pistons, I stumbled upon Subaru WRX STI pistons. Stock 4.0 specs: Please correct me if these are wrong. Bore 3.94 (100) Stroke 3.30 (84) Rod 5.748 (146) Comp Height 1.44 (36.6) Pin Diameter .945 (24) WRX STI specs: Bore 3.94 (100) oversized Stroke 3.11 (79)...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad