• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Throw Out Bearing?

Hey everyone! My truck is sitting at a shop waiting to be looked at in the morning and I wanted to get some advice here to back up whatever they may try to say is the problem. I have a clicking sound coming from the transmission area. It appear to shift ok and I tested 1st and Reverse with...
  2. Rough Under Load - Fuel Smell - No Codes

Truck starting jerking a little a few days ago at highway speed and then continued even at low speed. First thought was bad fuel pressure or blocked fuel filter. While driving/under load: Heavy vibration and sometimes jerks/bucks. Feels drive train related. At idle or rev up while in...
  3. Lower Ball Joint and Steering Knuckle

I am having hard time removing the steering knuckle from the lower ball joint. I have a pickle fork ... Maybe I should go get a puller? Upper ball joint already disconnected. Additionally, I believe I have to remove the snap ring on the spindle to release the knuckle from the axle? If so, I...
  4. Strange sounds - Front end

Recently, I have started hearing a rotational clicking sound from the front end. At one point I thought it was grinding but I could not replicate this on a short drive after it sitting for over a week. I wonder if I need to drive at highway speeds to get this to replicate the grinding part...
  5. cooling fan /clutch

Anyone known of there is a potential issue with swapping my 11 blade cooling fan/clutch combo with a 10 blade version from a similar aged Explorer? I verified it is the same diameter. My fan blade is quite fatigued and has several crack at the hub. Found a replacement at the junk yard from an...
  6. Expected Lifespan / Troubleshoot Question

What is the expected lifespan of a rebuilt/remanufactured manual transmission? Additionally, is there anything I should do to prolong the issue with my truck slipping out of reverse on a regular basis (unless I hold a slight amount of pressure on the shifter)? 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 278000...
  7. Master Cylinder and Clutch Life

Hey Everyone, I am just wondering a couple things. How can I tell if my Clutch Master Cylinder is going bad (as compared to the slave or actual clutch disc)? How long should all clutch components last under normal (mostly highway) driving conditions? My Ranger has 277k on it and it has been...
  8. Locate Fuel Purge Hose

So, I have some deteriorated hoses that run from the Evaporative Purge Solenoid to the Intake. It is two hoses connected by a plastic elbow. The are labeled Gas/Fuel ABG and are molded (not generic line). Can anyone help me figure out what part number this is? 1999 Ranger V6 4.0 OHV
  9. Lean Condition - did I cover all bases?

Ok...so, I have troubleshooted so much the past few weeks regarding a P171 & P174 code. I am wanting to make sure I have covered all bases before I pull the intake. Here is a brief rundown: 1999 4.0 V6 OHV 4x4 1) Valve Cover Gaskets (and ECT sensor) replaced a few months ago 2) Not sure if...
  10. Too Lean ... Bad Regulator?

I have been getting a "too lean" MIL code on both banks and while I preemptively replaced the O2 sensors, that did not fix the issue. So, I dug into the problem and have eliminated a vacuum leak (checked with a pressure gauge ... stayed in green under all conditions except fast / high rev of...
  11. Obnoxious Power Steering

My power steering pump has been whining for a while, even after changing the fluid. So, I decided to try to replace the pump... This didn't help even the slightest! I replaced the pump and flushed the system. It is still just as loud as ever. I turned the wheel many times and did not see...
  12. Fuel Flow Problem

A few months ago I swapped out the fuel pump as well as the fuel filter due to a no start situation and a verified no power to the fuel pump. Ever since this time, when I get below a 1/4 of a tank I have problems with idle when coming to a stop. Sometimes, it will die and other times drop to...
  13. Well Worn Differential

How bad is it that I have had a whine coming from the rear differential for several years. It actually started when my transmission was replaced but the shop didn't hear the "new" sound and said all was ok. Anyway, I just had it looked at for another reason and they said it was about to go...
  14. Throw Out Bearing?

The other day out of no where I heard the most ridiculous and loud sound as I was pulling out of the parking lot on a long rainy day. The truck had been sitting in the parking lot for 8+ hours. It clearly came from the front of the truck and my first thought was maybe something in the front...
  15. Ignition, Fuel Pump or other...?

I have a 99 Ranger 4.0 V6 4x4 that is having trouble starting on cold mornings. I have done a little research but I am lost at how many problems can have similar symptoms. So far, all I have tried to to replace the fuel pump relay. Now I don't hear the pump coming on when I turn the key on...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad