• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Instrument cluster on the fritz, truck randomly downshifts...

A few weeks ago just down the road from my dad's house my truck out of nowhere shut off and the dash lit up like a christmas tree with the gauges reading way out of range of what my aftermarket gauges were reading. I started it back up, but it was running extremely rough, almost as if multiple...
  2. Using the trans radiator heat exchanger for engine oil cooling?

Short and sweet: Has anyone ever used the trans heat exchanger in the radiator to cool engine oil? I didn't search these forums admittedly but I did some google searching and the best I could come up with is 60% of people saying it's a bad idea the rad exchanger isn't meant for those pressures...
  3. Painting Torsion Bars?

Hey all! I have what appears to be an uncommon question. I've been doing some front end work on my Ranger, and one of the things I plan to replace is the torsion bars as they are maxed out as far as adjustment and the front is still sagging with no weight. I already bought a new set (with a...
  4. More engine trouble! Grrr...

So while I was stopped at a light today I noticed my truck was idling a little rough. Continued to drive it and didn't immediately notice any significant reduction in power, but as I drove it around a bit I realized I have lost a cylinder someplace. No codes yet; I have been getting cyl. 6...
  5. Are these guys yanking my chain?

So I've had a bit of a day. A lot of other goings on, combined with not enough sleep, combined with it being pretty warm out today (think it kissed 90, but it gets a lot hotter on a black roof with several packaged ACs running around you). But one thing that really got me is these guys at...
  6. Best sample location for trans temperature?

Recently I purchased and installed a digital trans temp gauge to replace the old digital thermometer with remote probe that I was using to monitor my transmission's behavior. The thermometer's probe was, for lack a a better location, simply taped to the outside of the tranny's outgoing cooling...
  7. Analog Oil Pressure Gauge on a 1998

From what I've been reading it should be possible to jump out the 20 Ohm resistor on the back of the instrument cluster to and replace the OP switch that closes above 8 PSI with a transducer from an earlier model (like 1982) that will output an analog signal to make a non-dummy OP gauge...
  8. Cyl. 3 & 6 misfire all of a sudden?

So on my way home from work yesterday my truck out of the blue started running absolutely horrible. At an intersection the engine started sputtering extremely bad, and after accelerating and RPMs rising above 1500 the sputtering went away but I was extremely short on power, with the truck...
  9. Homemade Homeplow. Sorta.

I've always kind of liked winter. As a kid it was obvious, the possibility of no school makes every kid happy. As an adult (young though I may be) it's the challenges and responsibilities that come with the season. Getting firewood for heat, using trucks to get around, and previously an...
  10. Leveling Air Shocks in the Front?

Has anyone put load leveling air shocks (like Monroe Max Airs) on the front of a Ranger? Specifically a torsion bar 4WD. I have heard of it, but I can't seem to find anyone that has and have not been able to find Monroe shocks that are a 100% match for the front. A few that are close, but not...
  11. Really loose feeling when hitting bumps?

A while ago I noticed that when hitting bumps in the road at speed (anything greater than 30MPH) I would have a hard time controlling my truck when making turns. To an extent I know this is normal, but it almost feels like the bottom of the truck (mostly in the back) is being kicked out from...
  12. 4R44E "chugging" in lockup

Hello again. I have a 98 Ranger 3.0, which from what I understand means I have a 4R44E transmission with about 140k miles on it. I recently replaced the heads on my engine as they head a few bad valves. Prior to replacing the heads, at speeds greater than 40-45 MPH my whole truck would shake...
  13. Dying engine... Options?

Okay, so here's the deal. I have a '98 XLT 3.0 with according to a trusted mechanic a burnt exhaust valve on the #3 cylinder. I trust his diagnosis. So far, except for the already underpowered engine making for an even slower truck and a lot of rough running (also the occasional hard start)...
  14. Rear drums clanking?

So I changed my beaten and battered rear end for a newer, nicer junkyard one. I was pretty sure the loud clanking/clunking I would almost always hear when accelerating hard or switching from park into drive or reverse or from reverse to drive and vice versa was from the slop in the rear and...
  15. 98 Ranger Leaf Spring U-Bolts

Hi, I'm new here and I'm sure this has been brought up before but I've been searching google and a few Ranger-specific sites for over an hour as well as calling a few local auto parts stores with no luck. I have a 98 Ranger with the 7.5 rear that recently started making a grinding noise. Long...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad