• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. projectnitemare

whats it worth...88 ranger not running

I've come across a donor for some stuff I need, just a quick check on if I'm in the right ball park. It's an 88 Ranger extended cab, not running at the moment, no computer, bed is off, decent shape. He's asking $500 but I'm feeling it's only worth more of the $200-250 range. Any thoughts?
  2. projectnitemare

New tow rig

It's been a long time coming, and finally got something. 2014 F250 with the 12.5k towing package. Has pretty much everything I wanted except the 4.30 gear ratio that I was told was a special order. I decided against the diesel, it's like $8300 more now, the emissions equipment really scares...
  3. projectnitemare

dodge 1500 solid axile

Also forgot to mention a good many of these will have a CAD. Anyone who really wheels a Dodge will normally toss this axle for either a Dana 60 or a Ford HP Dana 44. I'd say these are the worst of the D44s. That aside though like I mentioned earlier where this would be a deal would be if you...
  4. projectnitemare

dodge 1500 solid axile

If it were a 60 I would say yes, I have seen it done. But being out of a 1500 which won't be a D60 but a D44 I would say I don't know. You would need the knuckles from a Ford D44 to accomplish the swap. That fact alone would lead me to believe it would be more effective to start with a Ford...
  5. projectnitemare

8.8 whine while coasting...with gear pattern pics

Ok this one has me a little stumped/irritated. Got this one in to fix, has less than 1000mi on the gearset with metal in the oil. Explorer 8.8. The driver's side shims had pushed out into the axle, that was the metal. I've done tons of these with no issues and this one is a bastard. No...
  6. projectnitemare

D60 vs. Rockwell

If you are going horsepower and ag tires, rockwells are the way to go. The problem with rockwells is the weight, width, brakes and steering. Some issues are due to the tires you are able to run and others like brakes depend on what you are doing. If you are in a hurry rockwells and parts will...
  7. projectnitemare

D60 vs. Rockwell

I'd put a D60 with high dollar shafts up to a rockwell anyday. In all reality it would be just as cost effective to do that as 2.5 tons. But a 2.5 ton is bigger to start and can only get stronger from there. If the little extra weight and limited ratios aren't a concern I'd go for them. If...
  8. projectnitemare

D60 vs. Rockwell

I'd say some sort of 1 ton. If you are trying to race this you will need some way of tuning. Rocks you will only have the factory 6.72 or a ouverson 4.90 ratio while any other factory axle will have a range of pretty much anything. You can pull some weight out of the 2.5 tons but 1 tons will...
  9. projectnitemare

d60s and 35" boggers

What does an engine swap have to do with axles? Most all domestic axles reguardless of size require about the same amount of power to spin and it's within 10 horsepower difference least to greatest. The ones that comsume the most are the ones that have the greatest hypod angle. Bigger tires...
  10. projectnitemare

d60s and 35" boggers

I don't think much on size anymore...for anything I use bigger is better. Kinda keep forgetting he's using 35s as well. He'll be good with pretty much any choice using 35s, but keep in mind if you remotely think you'll be going bigger it won't hurt to skimp on axle selection. A good thing to...
  11. projectnitemare

d60s and 35" boggers

I'll agree, the 14 bolt will be dragging balls all the time. The price is right on them though. Depending on your skills shave the bottom. The D70, 70U or 80 isn't bad either. My point is overbuild it the 1st time. I just rebuilt a 70U for a friend and I will say it was kinda expensive to...
  12. projectnitemare

d60s and 35" boggers

I'd have to agree...skip the D60 on the rear. I sway toward the 14 bolt chevy (gasp) for a rear axle. They are still pretty cheap and can find them pretty easily too. Close tie to that is the Sterling 10.25/10.5. Recent years have brought parts prices down for them and are quite strong as...
  13. projectnitemare

d60s and 35" boggers

the axle really has nothing to do with having the power to spin it. If you want to split hairs yes it may require a little more due to the design. If you were going fullwidth on 1/2 tons then you aren't worried about the width of 1 tons. If you can get a deal on them I would do it. Same...
  14. projectnitemare

RCV axleshafts

If you already have a D44 setup and geared that isn't a bad price for upgraded shafts. Around here a D60 will set you back $1k plus the swap and gears.
  15. projectnitemare

RCV axleshafts

If you can afford them and can't/don't want to change housings they are the way to go. The graph is pretty much correct. They will take more torque at a 45 degree angle than what a u-joint shaft will at no angle. Like stated earlier the other parts won't be up to snuff usually.
  16. projectnitemare

Ford 8.8 fell from 5' will it be ok?

I would think the force of an airborne truck landing would cause more stress than that but there is also a tire to buffer that impact. Check it over really good if you have any doubts on it make them replace it. I usually replace the axle bearings on a used axle as cheap insurance reguardless.
  17. projectnitemare

Rockwell 2.5 Tons

I would convert it to 2wd.
  18. projectnitemare

What would you pay for this?

An 88 Ranger 2wd, extended cab, 2.9L auto. Fairly decent body, some rust on the bed, may need minor work to get running. I don't have any pics just taking what my co-worker said about it. He told me to look at it an make him and offer. I'm looking at it for just the cab as long as it's good...
  19. projectnitemare

Rubicon Dana 44

They don't take a standard D44 gearset so gearing selection is rather limited and expensive. Sure they are better than standard fare jeep stuff but the tried and true standard D44 would be cheaper and easier to work with in the long run. Matt
  20. projectnitemare

Project Blue Submarine

This one is hopefully finished, has been a work in progress for nearly 3 years. 84 S10 w/ a .060 over 4 bolt main 350, 700R4 and an 8.8 explorer rear with disc brakes. Aside from the body nothing has been untouched or replaced under this thing; it's quite clean and sharp looking. This pic is...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad